Sunday, July 10, 2011

Weekend Report: Beach, Bruins, and Book

I spent the day with friends yesterday, down by the MA/RI border, and it was one of those perfect days where the weather and the company and all the world seemed to be united in their desire to have nothing go wrong. I did manage to get a bit too much sun on my left upper arm (the result of a driver's tan, mostly), but a tender spot is a small price to pay for that kind of day.

We ate lunch outside, at a place with great food, friendly staff, no rush, and this view:


We went to walk on a nearby beach, or on what was left of it at high tide. This isn't usually a surfer's beach, but I guess it was a special day for surfers, too.


The waves were very aggressive, but being wet to the knees was a small price to pay for the beauty.



There were signs of creativity from man,


as well as from nature.


It was simply beautiful. Overall, the day was the sort that had us all giving little happy sighs.


The place where we went next for ice cream has some young cows for you to look at while you try to eat fast enough to avoid wearing a thin layer of melted ice cream.


Close up of tongue action

And some birds hanging out in hopes of crumbs.

A great day.

Today I ran a bunch of errands, after a pleasant morning of lazing around. One stop was to pick up some prescription refills, since I haven't yet transferred to the mail-order option. Mail order will be even cheaper and easier, but already the new health insurance is a big improvement over the old one I had. What I paid $15.99 for today cost me $47.98 a few months ago. Yikes!

Another stop was at Barnes & Noble, since I've been wanting to pick up what was available on my beloved Bruins, or as I believe we are now required to call them, The 2011 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins. Thanks to a few dollars left on a gift card from Christmas, and a rebate card from my contact lenses, I paid all of $1.04 for this pile of fun and commemoration:


Along with my receipt, I was handed a slip of B&N advice for what else I might want to buy. At least the first two are hockey titles; the third is football, and the last, well.


Not exactly going on my list. Isn't Orange County in California? Roughly 3000 miles away?

Seen around town

These poor children: they're so slow, they didn't even get the "w" onto the sign!

Nice car! Want!

I'm not knocking the train to Maine, but I don't think that advertising should be covering warning signs and the how's-my-driving number.

On the other hand, the T, the transit authority, has been know to suggest that walking might be faster, so consider the source.

This was at a book sale; I think the sign would have been better if it had made it clear that the children's books were inside.

Though if they had actual children inside, it is considerate of them to have rooms for people to rest. Soundproofed, presumably.

Finally, here is an absolutely awesome commercial with knitting--so creative!



Love it!

1 comment:

  1. What beach is that at......it looks so lovely....

    Diane - ladydirich on ravelry

    ReplyDelete