Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recent Past, and Looking Ahead

When we were kids, my brother and I weren't allowed to have sweet cereals, defined as any that had sugar in the first three ingredients. The only exception* was our birthdays, when we were allowed a box of whatever we wanted.

*One other exception, actually, was the time when, at age 6, I fell down the stairwell from the third floor and hit my head on the radiator**. When I got out of the hospital, there was a whole row of sugary cereals waiting for me. Bliss!

** Broke the radiator. With my head. Yes I did. Explains a lot, doesn't it?
:)

My brother's birthday is September 9th. Mine is October 9th.

My brother would agree to share his box with me, so long as I shared mine with him, meaning that I couldn't get something he didn't like.

My brother does not like chocolate.

Now that was a dilemma. Watch him eat sugary cereal and not have any for another whole month? Or share his, knowing that I couldn't get Count Chocula on my birthday?

In Target today, they had a Monsters cereal display by the registers. To toast my brother, I picked up a box of ... BooBerry.

************

While I was doing laundry this morning (and into the afternoon: six loads takes time even with 2 machines), it was gray and blah outside, but it didn't actually start raining until early afternoon. Even then, it was more of a light mist. I had wanted to get the laundry done before going to Target and the post office. But it was a heavier mist when I went out, and solidly rain when I got out of Target. Yuch. I feel damp still, an hour and more after getting home. Still, I got a bunch of stuff I needed. There are still a few things on the perpetual list, but the immediate needs are taken care of.

And it's still raining.

************

I had dinner out last night with a couple of friends. There are four of us who were going to get together, and mid-week one had to bail on our plan, as another of her friends was going to be in town for a birthday dinner after all. So I sent the remaining two others a review I read Friday of a restaurant, not all that far from me, that sounded drool-worthy, and they agreed to go (one had been there, one had not).

Can you guess where our other friend ended up going for that birthday dinner? Yes, out of how many restaurants in the greater Boston area, we were at the same one. Unbelievable.

And the food was fantastic. Angela's is a keeper.

************

So, posting was light here last week. Work's been busy, and after work, by the time I get the bare minimum of Things done, I'm often too tired to write at the length I'd like to. Friday was a good day at work, though (I love it when I can cross off everything on the list), including one of the bigwigs coming back from a few days in Italy with a bag of tiny Toblerone (milk, dark, and white chocolate) for the candy dish. Yum! Thank you, VP, travel any time with my blessing. It was a day to make up for the rottenness of the preceding Friday.

This weekend has been a good mix of productive and restful, and I don't feel the Sunday-evening grumpies as strongly as some weeks. (Though I am tired, but what else is new?)

Harold is doing better, still favoring his leg but clearly not bothered by it, just as cuddlesome and purry as ever, only more hesitant to jump up than usual. I'll keep an eye on his continuing recovery, but hopefully further vet visits will not be required.

Hockey is coming. The regular season starts Thursday night. (Go, Bruins!) Training camp has been encouraging, and I'm hoping for another good year from the Bruins. It's just so much more fun to watch when they're playing well, you know? I am cautiously optimistic for this year. (Go, Bruins!)

Two weeks to Apple Festival. Three weeks to Rhinebeck. Ahh.

2 comments:

  1. My sister and I have that same day/different month and year birthday thing, too! I like the sugary cereal idea. (We got small boxes in our Christmas stockings.) That's so cool you "toasted" your brother with BooBerry.

    We had mist all morning into the early afternoon, too. It was way gross until the sun came out.

    Keep on healing, Harold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every now and then I get a sugar-y cereal craving. Usually Capt'n Crunch.

    ReplyDelete