Sunday, September 13, 2009

Some weekend (cha-ching)


Yeah, here it is again, Sunday night, back to work tomorrow, didn't get so many things done this weekend. In my defense, though, today has been a Cat-Filled Day of Adventure, and in that sense "today" started at 5AM.

Or roughly five, you understand, I wasn't awake, I don't know the exact time. But something woke me, I opened my eyes*, and for one split second, I knew there was a person bending over my bed.

*my super-nearsighted, can't focus more than a few inches eyes, again in my own defense

And as the only human living here, that caused me to draw in my breath in one loud, panicked gasp, which caused the, yes, cat to spring off the bed because ohmigod what is it?

Leap, scramble, ricochet, CRASH. There's a small table next to the couch, and it has a glass vase-thing on top. Apparently the panicked feline (whom I believe was Miri because she does panic so easily) bounced off it hard enough that, well, you can guess. I got up, put on my glasses, and turned on the light, because clean up the glass, right?

Well, except that it didn't break. It was lying there, along with a few other odds and ends that fell. Next to a dent in the floor, which I would show you now except that my camera is currently in Indianapolis, according to the tracking.

So, happily, no broken glass to clean up. While I was picking things up, however, I noticed that Harold was limping. It's possible that he was the primary cat in the incident, or perhaps he was scared when Miri was, jumped down too, and landed badly. In any case, he was favoring one leg, poor guy. Since the vet was coming for their check-ups this morning, I waited to see what she thought.

As soon as she saw his limp, she advised that I get him x-rayed, and told me of an animal hospital not too far away that's open Sundays. (In fact, they never close, so it's good to know they're there in case of any future need [knock wood].) She also thought his lungs sounded slightly asthmatic, and wanted a chest x-ray, and then bloodwork due to his age.

The astute pet owners are hearing the cha-ching already, right?

The vet visit. The vaccines. The x-rays, bloodwork, and painkillers, at emergency rates. Yeah. Ouch. Over $1100 of ouch. It's always something, isn't it?

But he's my baby. What was I going to do?

The leg is not broken. Hopefully, if he takes it easy for a few days, the soft tissue damage will right itself. Bloodwork results tomorrow. Oh, and the chest x-ray happened to show that one of his kidneys is very small, so depending on his test results, he may need something for that. Never ends, does it.

But he's my baby.

He's feeling much better now that the painkiller has worn off. Well, of course I'm reading into his behavior. The drugs made him loopy, his eyes were all wrong, he couldn't walk straight (not just the limp), he was looking around like he couldn't process what he saw. Now, he's much more like himself. They sent me home with more painkillers, but unless he seems bad, I think they're worse than the disease for him.

And he's my baby.

P.S. The cookies did get made, tonight. If they cool enough, I can still mail them tomorrow. Might have to wait a day, cuz!

5 comments:

  1. Aw, poor Harold. Get well soon!

    I have had pet insurance on my cat since she was a kitten which (knock on wood) I've never used, but specifically for that just in case something stupid happens reasons. Depending on the age of your kitties, it might be something useful to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add: Poor you! It is stressful to take a kitty to the vet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vet comes to *your* place? I'm impressed! I am glad Harold is hanging in there and that the other things were discovered earlier rather than later.

    But damn! The bill is an ouch and a half! Worth every penny and no question but... ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You remind me that even in my unemployed state I can afford pet insurance better than astronomical vet bills - and the emergency vet is **always** astronomical. I better get cracking on that.

    How do you get a vet who makes housecalls? It must be due to your proximity to Boston because I doubt any would travel to the wilds of north central MA - even if they c/would I couldn't afford them. But still, it's a luxury I would love to have.

    I'm sending Harold get better wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cats before cookies!!

    :):):)

    JLKB

    ReplyDelete