Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Some random for Tuesday

What was up with the highways of Massachusetts today?

This morning's commute was horribly snarled with the aftermath, both clean-up and reconstruction, of a fatal accident* on 128.

*And possibly, it was not technically an accident, if he intentionally stepped into the path of a tractor-trailer. Which makes me feel awful for the truck driver.

This afternoon, a small plane landed on 495. My favorite line is from the Boston.com story:
"When rescue crews arrived moments later, the pilot and his passenger were walking on I-495, dazed but uninjured..."
Dazed? You think? After surviving a plane crash onto a highway? Dazed would be the least of it!

The hell, people?

In less dramatic vehicular news, I noticed today that I was stopped at a light behind a Chevy Equinox. Never heard of it, have you? I looked really carefully, since a while back I thought I was behind a Coven, but a second startled glance revealed it to be a trick of the light. I often think I see something at a first quick glance that a real look proves was nothing like.

**********************

I was looking on the library website recently for a book that sounded interesting from the page-a-day calendar, and was fascinated to see that there were two different editions with quite different covers.

click to embiggen

One the traditional Regency-type cover, the other along more modern lines ... and both with yellow. Fascinating. (I found the second more appealing, apparently, since I clicked it first, but number one was available, so I went with no-wait.)

**********************

Heard in the store recently:
Attention Target guests:
This is a routine test of our alarm system.
Please do not be alarmed.
If I'm not supposed to be "alarmed", shouldn't they call it something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment