Monday, August 31, 2020

Sitting Pretty, or at least prettier

The chair I was using at my desk has been getting less and less comfortable recently, which could be due to a number of factors:

  • Age (its: an old chair that was breaking down)
  • Age (mine: an older body getting creakier and more arthritic)
  • Pandemic pounds; enough said
  • More hours sitting in it, with a few Zoom meetups a week adding to the butt-in-chair hours

Whatever the reason or reasons, it was time and past time to get a new one. Last weekend, I went to Staples and sat in All The Chairs, but while I got down to one I liked more than the others, I didn't love it enough to pay for it. 

This Saturday, I went to Office Depot and went through the same routine, getting it down to this one chair. I sat in it, thinking about how I liked it better than the rest, but wasn't sure I loved it, and boy, these things aren't cheap, are they, but then I considered my tendency toward decision paralysis*, and I threw my metaphorical hands up in the air, reminded myself how much my hips had hurt after work the day before, and bought it. 

*The delusion that there is One Right and Perfect Solution to a search, if only I keep looking, instead of any number of possible items that would work just fine

I also paid them extra to put it together for me, which is a service I highly recommend, particularly if you too have bad hands (or back, coordination, upper body strength, or any number of other reasons). They need to be advertising this all over the chair section, if you ask me; I didn't see any signs at all, but since I had seen signs for something similar at Staples the previous trip, I asked ("Can I pay you to put it together for me?"), and oh sure, they do that too ("Twelve dollars, it will be ready tomorrow."). 

So I went back yesterday to pick it up, rolled it right out of the store (instead of carrying the ~50-pound box), and here it is.

And with the chair it's replacing. Buh-bye!
My mother was concerned about it fitting in my car, but the Kia Soul is surprisingly roomy for things like that. I had folded the back seats down, and though lifting it up and in was awkward, there was no trouble with the fit.
It didn't even block the rear window.
I can't tell you how much more comfortable it is. Ahh. Though Maggie does not approve; it makes different noises, which startle her. Cats are even less fond of change than I tend to be. And happy though I am, as I fidget with the height and settings, I am ready for that to be set.

To segue neatly into the next topic, here is the old chair displaying the bag'o'yarn that recently came into the thrift shop where my mother volunteers.

Pretty impressive amount, yes? We have to assume that the knitter either died, or at least is unable to knit anymore. Here it is all spread out.
That's a lot of yarn! Unfortunately, it's mostly mohair, which isn't a favorite of mine to work with (or wear). But one hates to turn down an offer of yarn, since you never know what treasures might be in that bag. And look at it all!
Lots of pretty blues and greens.
Labeled and not labeled, small amounts and large; it's a mix.
I'll be rehoming most of it, so if you see anything you like, let me know; I can provide details, more pictures, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment