Friday, May 05, 2017

The Friday Report. It Starts Badly, Ends Well

My work day started inauspiciously today, with an email announcing that the company was putting a policy in place regarding working from home, effective immediately. Which I don't object to, in theory (other than the 'effective immediately' part, but that's typical of how they operate), and I can understand why it might be a good idea for them to have such a policy in writing, especially if they keep buying other companies (not at all a side note: we still haven't heard if there are raises coming from the reviews we had in February; it's May).

However, from the way it was written, the tone was very much "only in these very narrow circumstances and good luck getting an exemption, suckers" and it made it sound as though I would not qualify. Yes, I was hired with that intention, but is it in my contract? Do I have a contract? I have an employment agreement...which does not specify. Was I going to have to fight this?

It was a stressful hour or two, until the editing manager heard back from the person he asked, saying that, no, no, editorial is considered remote and we weren't all suddenly going to have to go into Boston every day. Whew! The stress drop was considerable, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

However, I just visited these guys, which helped.

My neighbor's back tomorrow, and I'm sure they'll be delighted to have her back, but they were fun to spend a little time with, the goofballs.

And now it's Friday night, and I get to spend time with my own goofball.
And it's the weekend. Lunch with a friend tomorrow, and on Sunday, tulips! It's another gray rainy day here, I really, really can't wait to bring that color home again.

1 comment:

  1. So, when you move to Florida would you still be working for the same people? I'm hoping you can get quit of them and work for someone a little more ... stable.

    ReplyDelete