Wednesday, December 03, 2008

In which I start to talk about PMS and end up lost in YouTube

Proof that someone up there is mad at me: in addition to new-job-pressure stress and feline bereavement stress, this week I have PMS. This may explain why I was in the grocery store tonight buying chocolate, chocolate, ice cream, and ice cream. Balanced, yes?

I did eat dinner before ice cream. I'm not being wholly unhealthy. Just partially, and that counts, right?

Ben and Jerry's Imagine Whirled Peace is really good. If you were wondering.

Also therapeutic: loud music that makes me happy to sing along. Today especially, since I woke up with a Billy Joel song I heard Monday night still stuck in my head. Fortunately, Depeche Mode drove it right out. I just can't get enough, you know?

I went to YouTube to see about a video to link to, and oh holy wow, the first one I watched, this version had me on the floor. It's from Top of the Pops in 1981, and Dave is rocking the full geek look (a bow tie? seriously?), and Martin in the no-shirt-and-suspenders look, it's all quite funny, but wait, why are they all holding trumpets? Because they pretend to play them! I was snorting with laughter. Synthesizers! Synth band, people! Whose idea was it to give them toy trumpets?

Although the Rose Bowl version is very clear and clean (since it's the band's cameras), I have a fondness for the in-the-crowd angle, though the quality isn't as high. It takes me back to 1986, at the Wang Center in Boston, and I swear the balcony was vibrating, bouncing during this song.

Wow, I could watch this stuff all night. There is, for example, a live version of Somebody in which Martin looks disturbingly like Aimee Mann, and what's up with that? There's nothing wrong with Aimee Mann, but Martin? What happened?

Still, it's cheered me up for a moment. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment