Sunday, November 09, 2008

Perhaps my fastest finished object ever

Last weekend, I got to see friends from out of town, and meet their five-month-old baby for the first time. (He's adorable, of course.) I learned that he likes to suck his thumb, which warmed my heart since I did the same as a little kid. He also likes to grab onto something while thumb is in mouth, meaning that if there isn't a blanket or something close by, he'll grab his mother's hair or his sleeve.

Poor baby, if only he knew a knitter who could help with this problem!

Oh. Ahem.

Making a plain-vanilla, beyond basic baby blanket
Untangle some yarn (left over from previous baby blanket). Thank you, ball winder!


Start the blanket (66 stitches, size 9 needles), in plain knit stitch.

Curse Blogger for randomly rotating photos.


Four days later, finish square (when the untangled yarn is finished, the blanket is finished). Photograph it:


Then realize we could use something in there for scale. No cats being close to hand for once, grab the nearest book.


The color is closer to the first shot, but whatever.

Using size 10 needles and leftover yarn, make 3-stitch I-cord on each corner, to give the baby hand holds.


Bask in pleasure at super-quick finish.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's adorable! I love the i-cord touch. I'm knitting a baby blanket, too, but it's a corner to corner knit and kind of fiddle-y. Thanks for the great holder thingy idea.

    ReplyDelete