Friday, November 28, 2008

I'm Back! (Did you notice I was gone?)

No, really, I was gone! Not away, but computer-less for over 24 hours!

It felt like an eternity. Which goes to show how your life can change when you're not paying attention.

And no, nothing's wrong with the computer. But the mouse broke, and there isn't much I can do on the machine without mousie.

Do you like how I say "the mouse broke" as if it happened when I wasn't even in the room? That isn't quite how it went down. But I was thinking about the incident, and my own culpability, and I came to the following conclusion. Have you heard the expression, "suicide by cop"? Where someone who wants to die puts himself in a position where the police will shoot him? I think my mouse was going for "suicide by extremely short-tempered stressed woman whose cat is on death's door". It's practically the same thing.

Soooo, after sleeping in this morning, and watching the Bruins win their matinee 7-2 (which was very entertaining, and my word, has Phil Kessel got jets in his skates or what, he can fly), I went out, braving the shopping world on Black Friday.

I worked Black Friday for years, when I was working in bookstores (91-00), and although it wasn't as crazy a destination as Target or Walmart or the mall (none of which I went anywhere near today), it was a busy day. Never the busiest of the season, though. That was generally the last Saturday before Christmas, depending on when the holiday fell.

I've never been big into shopping on the day, though I can certainly see it if you have an item to buy that will be wicked marked down. I don't thrive on the crowds, though, which is why I was careful in choosing my destinations today. I went to Staples, which was busy but not mad, and then to the grocery store, ditto. (The grocery store also has my bank branch in it, so I could deposit my first paycheck. I like to combine things like that.) I actually have a small list of things for which I need Target or the like, but nothing that can't wait until next week.

The mouse I got was the cheapest one, but it seems quite spiffy to me. (And by the way, is there a simple answer for why the prices ranged from $12.99 to over $50? Do the best ones balance your checkbook or something?) It's going to take some getting used to, as it moves far, far more smoothly than the old one did, so I touch it and the pointer is all the way to the right! And then to the left! And then whew, where is it?

I think having the laser pointer will be good, as the roller ball on the old one seemed to get choked by a single cat hair, and that got old fast Chez Cat Hair. And the wireless part will be good for not getting the cord hung up on things. Plus, the old one squeaked from day one, and I will not miss that. (Honestly, it's sounding like the old one was a piece of junk, right? Don't you agree, it wanted to die?)

Oh, I have an Irony Story from going out today. I thought I would stop in to Starbucks, since I have a couple of vouchers for free drinks, and what's better than free?

The reason I have vouchers is that a few weeks back, I went to the website to comment that I was having trouble finding stores with the salted caramel hot chocolate in stock, and maybe they should realize that it's popular, and send more out already. They sent me the vouchers as a thanks for bitching, which is a lesson in something, but anyway.

About a week ago I stopped in a store on my way into work, and they were, yes, out of the specially special ingredients, so I couldn't get it. They'll have more on Monday! they assured me. Which, on Friday, was not so helpful, but it's not really their fault, so I didn't yell or anything (working in retail, among the many things it taught me, showed me how very little gets accomplished if you piss off the people who could help you).

Today (getting back to today, which is where I was if you're trying to follow along), I thought it would be nice to start the shopping with said drink, so I stopped in at a (different) Starbucks, and yes, you guessed it, no can do. The guy was apologetic, but still. The irony that I have these vouchers because I was complaining about stores being out of this drink, and now twice I have tried to use a voucher only to have the store be out of that drink .... and yes, I could get something else, but I didn't want something else. I want that.

What worries me is that it could be a seasonal drink that they don't plan to keep serving (though they're barely serving it now), and it will vanish from my life before I have had enough. If there is such a thing as enough, but that way madness lies.

I think perhaps I have gone on long enough. This is what happens when I miss a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment