Thursday, February 15, 2018

How I Spent Half-Off-Good-Chocolate Day


  • Obviously, I ordered from Lake Champlain Chocolates as soon as they marked their Valentine's chocolate down 50%. (I'm on their email list, but they also put it on Facebook, if you prefer to follow them there.) As always, I got some of their milk chocolate caramel hearts, which are so delicious, but I also ordered a bag of "NEW Salted Caramel Latte Organic Hearts" to try, and I will report back on how I like those. Chocolate and caramel plus coffee? I have a feeling I will be a fan.
  • Even better, the shipping cost is the same whether I got it delivered tomorrow, or any weekday the rest of the month (I didn't look beyond February), so of course I went for tomorrow.
  • I "attended" a conference call on the annual performance appraisal process for work. Literally the only thing I needed to know was when the self-assessments are due to be turned in, and when the initial meetings will be held. But I guess the company hires a lot of analysts who have just finished school, as the boss repeatedly explained that this is not a report card, and getting ranked "good" (which is the middle of the five available ratings) does not mean you got a C. I felt very old.
  • Since the audio quality was not great, it was literally a slightly painful thing to listen to, but:
    • I was at home,
    • wearing sweatpants,
    • knitting,
    • and snarking with the other editors on Skype, so it could have been worse.
  • There was someone in the London office who had several questions, and it's pretty clear that she's a manager for the first time. I don't know if she's new to the company as well as being new to management, but I hope she gets some advice from her boss, or someone, on what she's supposed to be doing.
  • I cracked up when listening to the latest 31 Thoughts podcast, when Jeff said that he and Elliotte were going to "have to put on our thinking toques" to get ready for next week's episode. It doesn't get much more Canadian than that, eh?
  • I also read things about the school shooting that happened in Florida yesterday, which are so heartbreaking I can hardly bear it.
  • Then, I had to answer my phone every time it rang, since I am waiting for a couple of return calls. So many stupid robo-voices and call centers, no real people I was hoping would call.
  • I emailed the realtor back to talk about getting her opinion on how close I am to being ready to sell the condo. I waver between feeling like I have accomplished So Much, and feeling like there is still So Much left to do; I need an expert opinion. All I want to do is close my eyes and pretend none of this is happening ... but I am trying to persevere through the discomfort. I want to get the move done and over with.
  • Meanwhile, I am very much looking forward to the long weekend. Just one more work day to get through!

1 comment:

  1. Once you move, will you be exempt from those "come to the office" days?

    ReplyDelete