Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Can I Borrow a Flamethrower?

I've never been a strong believer in the idea that you are given only the amount of troubles in life that you can handle; it sounds nice, but not realistic to me. And lately, well, I was already buckling under the weight of the last month (as you may have noticed), with all the snow on top of everyone else (life, basically); seriously, we went from 5 inches of snow to second-snowiest winter on record in a month, and it's not done yet! Why, we might get 3-5 inches tonight. Or more. Or less. They don't know.

And then the car battery thing.

And then the tire.

And there's a work thing that may be fine or may not...

And then this morning? Clear evidence that a mouse was in my kitchen. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

To backtrack, we condo owners got an email from the property manager back in October, saying that someone's tenants had reported a mouse problem, and was anyone else seeing them? Which I was very glad to say I had not. But a few weeks ago, I heard a noise that seemed odd, and then once in a while I would walk into the kitchen and find a cat staring at the fridge, or the cabinet, which they've never done before. So I was watchful.

This morning, as I first walked into the kitchen, I thought I heard a slight rustling, but I was literally just out of bed, meaning about 7% awake, and I fed the cats and turned on the coffee maker and forgot all about it. But when I went into the kitchen later I remembered, and I looked at the loaf of bread on the counter, and there was a hole in the side of the bag, and a small cave tunneled into the side*. Yuck yuck yuck!
*On a side note, it is a damned good thing that the vermin targeted the bread before, say, the chocolate. Granted, that was on the kitchen table, farther away, but still. I whipped that stuff into a covered glass dish ASAP this morning.

I guess a good blogger would have taken a picture of it, but I just put it in the garbage (which I then took out and it was picked up today), so sorry about that lapse. I turned the computer on and fired off a mayday email to the manager and owners. The property manager says she's getting a quote from the exterminator tomorrow. I hope so! Yuck. I am trying so hard not to freak about it, but it is creeping me out majorly. Please feel free to not share any gross-out stories.

3 comments:

  1. yeeeeeeeech - mice

    Tell Carlos he's the man of the house and go take care of the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor mouse... Not surprised they are looking to move indoors with all that snow outside...

    (Not that I'd want one in my kitchen either)

    ReplyDelete