Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Winter, Exercise, and a Few Randoms

Now they're saying* that tomorrow's snow may** not amount to much, which is a hopeful relief; even 3-4 inches is more than I want. Why, I started today with the alarm going off (boo), but no shoveling (YAY), and I'd love another day of that. Or more than one day. No shoveling for the win!
*Be a meteorologist! Change your mind constantly! Never worry about being wrong!
**They're totally guessing, of course.

Ahem. Sorry. A little snow-crazy around here, and I'm not the only one. The local mayor's blog is sounding a little testy about all the work they still have to do, they KNOW, there's a lot of snow, okay? And in Boston, my god, in addition to the already crazy conditions, that led yesterday to delays on all parts of the T, and heinous traffic that had a friend of mine taking about an hour and a half just to get out of the parking garage (can you even imagine? and she stayed late and took a spin class, hoping traffic would improve later), today they had the Patriots parade. Holy cow.

Meanwhile, I have something only quasi-snow-related to brag about. I mean, I have to brag that I'm exercising, since that and the socks are all I get out of it! No energy boost, no weight loss ... but, hey, kudos to me, even with all the shoveling, I haven't missed a day in the last 11 days! For that matter, I've been riding 4 to 7 days a week, 15-30 minutes a day, other than when I was away over Christmas, since I last saw the doctor. Other than Christmas week, I've spent 1.5 to 2.5 hours per week on the bike. Go, me!

(Click on the image to make it bigger.)
And I've hated it. But in a mostly tolerable way. I mean, clearly, since I am doing it. Sure, it would be nice to find a form of exercise I enjoyed. But until I move to Florida and find that place within walking distance of the beach (hi, Mom), this will have to do.

And if Boston gets the Olympics, by the way? There's my deadline to move: before 2024.

Other thoughts:
  • I find driving on familiar streets that are narrower than they usually are to be intrinsically disturbing.
  • Last month, I switched my cell phone from Verizon to AT&T, and my last Verizon bill was for seven dollars and change. Or at least I thought it was my last bill, until I got one from them last week. The amount? $-0, or negative zero dollars. Well, I thought, I'll pay that as soon as I figure out how. Today I got a paper bill from them, showing my last payment as received, and advising me not to pay the $0 I owe. Thank heavens they cleared that up.
  • Quote for the day: 
There was indeed a "frightful lot" of books. The four walls of the library were plastered with them from floor to ceiling, save only where the door and the two windows insisted on living their own life, even though an illiterate one.

1 comment:

  1. I do think that shoveling should count toward your exercise total!

    ReplyDelete