Thursday, February 12, 2015

Why I Keep Buying Ice Cream

Today's snow was, as hoped, just a dusting; annoying to have to clean off the car, slightly slippery/slipperier to drive on, but not a big deal. This weekend's snow*, on the other hand, may be another foot.
*Of course there is more snow this weekend. I told you it was never ending.

Another. Foot.

Two things from Facebook tonight that I really felt illustrated life in Boston right now. First, for the visual people, who learn better from pictures:
Second, if you are a word person, read this article (which also has some good pictures) regarding the attitude that we should just stop complaining about it. Key quote:
You should probably know that we are way past joking. We are tired and beat down and every single day is a struggle.
I am so fortunate that I don't have to take the T, which is crumbling under the unrelenting snow of the last few weeks. And I am fortunate, like one of the commenters on that story (who also linked to another story I had read that hit a similar point home) wrote regarding herself and her husband, that I can say, "And we are the lucky ones. We have employers who did not expect us to be at work on Monday or Tuesday. We have employers who pay us when they close. We have employers who let us work from home." But knowing I am fortunate doesn't help all that much, facing another foot of snow. Even ice cream isn't helping all that much.

Another foot. Where will we put it?

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting genuinely scared about how we'll manage financially, since I don't get paid when the library closes. And I'm getting rather vocal about it, too, especially when full-time coworkers talk about how much they wish for more snow days.

    (But also the weather-related headaches have worn me down to a frazzle.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I moved to this apartment. The house was on a private road and we paid for plowing - my share of the road and for him to plow the majority of the drive was about $70 and he'd be plowing two or three times per storm. While he might give me a break, I could count on at least $100 each weekend if we still lived there.

    I'm snowed out for the season now.

    ReplyDelete