Thursday, February 19, 2015

Still In A Funk

Yes, the self-pity around here is as high as the snowbanks, not coincidentally, and when I went out for lunch (free lunch at Bertucci's, yay; awkward conversation with a 17-year-old from France, here to work on his English, um, awkward) and it was snowing, well. I tried to stop repeating, "But the sun was out at 9..." and generally pull myself together, so he wouldn't go back with stories about the crazy lady. (Mind you, he said the snow here is like the Alps, so there is that.) It subsided by the time we left the restaurant, and was kind of trying to be sunny ... but later it was briefly white-out, and I had to clear my car off again when I left work. Sigh. (It must have been during the white-out that one of my friends said on Facebook, "Ummm, is snowmageddon happening again???" and one of the comments was "Has it ever stopped"?)

Meanwhile:
  • My mouth is still tender around the temporary crown; my jaw hurts, and I'm tired of selecting foods based on chewing.
  • I got a shot today, so my rear hurts, too. There is no position in which I can forget it.
  • The Bruins continue to decline. They lost last night to Edmonton. Edmonton! Whose record before the game was 16-32-10! Ow, ow, ow. I guess I should be glad I didn't watch that. (It started at 10; I was asleep long before then.)
  • My face is breaking out on a near-continuous basis, and my weight has gone up enough, despite the biking*, that most of my clothing is uncomfortable.
*Believe me, I have noticed how often I mention chocolate and ice cream lately. I know it's related. But the snow, my god, the snow.

It isn't really that everything is so bad, not truly, it just seems so right now, since the everlasting never-ending snow has trimmed my fuse down to microscopic levels. Every little thing that happens goes straight to end-of-the-world, emotionally speaking.

Last night, however, I faced one of the problems I've been having, one I can actually control, and took the current purse sock out of rotation. As I mentioned, I have to work out the heel, and while I ripped it back and I have a plan, right now it isn't in a good place to be carried around for when-I-have-a-minute knitting. I wound a skein of Socks That Rock last night, and this morning I cast on while I waited for the doctor's office to get its act together (they had opened the office and found a puddle in one of the exam rooms; if you have never heard of an ice dam, be grateful). I worked on it during a meeting this afternoon, and it helped my mood a little; helped me contain it, anyway. I think I will sit with it for a little while, now, and wait for the latest codeine to kick in.

2 comments:

  1. Knitting IS good for your health! And mine! And the health of those around me, if you know what I mean, and I think you do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your current weather situation, I think knitting is the only thing that would save me. Knitting, and hot cocoa...

    ReplyDelete