Saturday, February 14, 2015

Looking for the Good

Instead of thinking about the snow, or about my still-hurting head, I want to focus on better things today. To start, I'll show you this:
We got these little notebooks at a work thing recently, each with a different saying, and given my ability to procrastinate and put off decisions, for mine to say DON'T WAIT seemed very apt. I decided to use it in combination with a sometime habit I'm trying to revive, of thinking at night of three good things that happened that day. In the past, I haven't written them down, but perhaps doing so will help me feel the weight of the good things even more, and remember them longer.
Once I decided that, I waited no more.
They don't have to be big things, just specific, positive things. Like a book I've been waiting for!
I'm hoping one of my things to list today will be that the headache went away, but even if it doesn't I have the other two. One is kind of mundane, but given the headache, I'm proud of myself for getting all my errands done this morning. It wasn't fun, but it was still satisfying. I even found my very favorite coffee creamer, which I have been unable to locate in the last few weeks! Reward in itself for making the effort.

And the other came to me from Mary Ellen, who brought me a little spring.
Tulips! Given that the hyacinth is fading, they are most welcome. I would have bought myself something today, but I never thought of it. Perfect.


That's hope, right there. Just beginning to bud, so I get to watch the whole thing. Perfect.

One thing that won't go on that list is the recent play of the Bruins, unfortunately. After a vastly improved January, they are doing very poorly in February. I was asleep before last night's game started, but by all reports, I spared myself much pain from watching it. Ugh! Yesterday I watched a clip from when they won the Cup a few years ago, and was amazed by their smooth play, crisp passing, and lack of stupid mistakes. They made it look so easy. Apparently it isn't.

But I'm supposed to be looking for the good. I'm going to plant myself on the couch now, with a comforting and non-demanding movie (yet to be determined), and knit. The blanket is coming nicely. Later, leftover pizza from last night. Look out the window as little as possible. Smile every time I see the tulips. Sounds like a plan.

1 comment: