Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Unexpected (But Not Unwelcome) Hockey News

Well, my goodness, Jaromir Jagr is a Boston Bruin! That was not something I saw coming, but I think I like it. He's old for an NHL player--you know, 41, ancient (says the 44-year-old), some of the Bruins weren't born when he started in the NHL--but he's been playing well (his points total is good for fourth on the Bruins), and judging by the way the Bruins are playing tonight, just the news may be the kick in the pants they've been needing. He's not even in town yet, and already the Bruins put three in the net in the first period (one was waved off, but still).

Just to emphasize the age thing, though, here's a picture of Jagr from 1998, when he'd been in the league for eight years, posing with a teammate's nephews. On the left? Milan Lucic, who's been a Bruin for six years now.

I followed the trade rumors today on Puck Daddy's feed; they put together the Twitter feeds from a bunch of hockey people, so one could keep an eye on what was happening. The trade deadline isn't until tomorrow, but a lot happened today. My heart skipped a beat when I saw "Bergeron" pop up, but thankfully it was the other one, Marc-Andre no relation to Patrice got traded. I can't fathom that the Bruins would trade Patrice for ANYONE in the league, about still, scary.

I'm off to watch the rest of tonight's game, but let me give some props to the person who picks the music that they play at the Garden during play stoppages, for playing "Moves Like Jagger" during the first. Maybe it's the obvious joke (see?but it made me laugh!

1 comment: