Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hockey and Packing (What Else?)

NHL Update (oh Bruins, my Bruins)
Well, that Tennessee sign guy has my sympathies, because the Predators were eliminated last night. The conference semis are down to one series, and if San Jose wins tonight, that will finish round two. If Detroit wins, they force game 7 on Thursday. I don't have a strong feeling either way; not being a big fan of Joe Thornton, I'd be mildly pleased to see him out, but really I won't lose sleep over it either way. (There have been very, very few NHL games not featuring the Bruins in the last 30+ years that I've cared strongly about, one way or the other. In fact the only exception that comes to mind is when Ray Bourque won the Cup with Colorado in 2001.)

Until this morning, all that I had read indicated that the start of the next round would depend on the outcome of tonight's game*, but this afternoon the NHL released the schedule for round three, starting Saturday. Which is good, because I'll only miss one game while I'm away, instead of possibly two.

*With round three starting Thursday or Saturday, depending.

Sure, I hate to miss it, but it's not the end of the world. And there's no one to blame for the timing of this trip but me! I'm a bad Bruins fan: when I was planning this trip (a month and more ago), the playoffs simply didn't occur to me. Give me some slight credit: it wasn't that I considered how far the Bruins were likely to go, and dismissed the possibility they'd still be playing this late*; it just never crossed my mind (which isn't quite as bad, I guess).

*Though the odds were in my favor, had I done so.

Listing, Planning, Packing
Last night, I started to put a few things aside, to get ready for packing. I'm so not a "grab the passport and go" traveler: I like to plan and consider and prepare. Anticipation!

Some people are aces at packing light, and some are not. I am very much not, but as I keep reminding myself, on this trip I have to carry everything I bring. Not that I'm walking to DC with my pack on my back, but you know, I want to be able to carry things (to, on, and off the train) without much strain. It helps that it's going to be a jeans-and-sneakers trip, nothing fancy that requires careful handling, and that it's spring, not winter with all its bulk.

It's a short trip (I'll be there for three days and four nights), but with the travel days it feels longer. I'm trying to balance having what I need (and want) on the train and on the trip with weight and space considerations. So I'm not shirking on the clean underwear, or weighing q-tips (literally or metaphorically), but I am working to control my just-in-case tendencies.

Nor am I bringing bulky knitting! The sweater is already too much for a travel outing, other than to stitch and bitch. Socks are good (I'll bring the current purse pair, and yarn for the next), and a little scarf/shawl thing I'm planning.

What Else?
Oh, the new job officially starts on Monday, May 23.

Whee!

2 comments:

  1. Have a happy and safe trip :) Don't forget your ipod (fully charged) for music on the way. We'll look forward to lots of pictures when you return.

    It's a good thing you had this trip scheduled prior to beginning the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job!!!! Woot woot! Enjoy your trip my super knitter friend.

    ReplyDelete