Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Um, Yeah. Trip Report Still To Come

When I was traveling on Monday, I figured I would do the brief blog-update when I got home, then start expanding on it Tuesday night.

Instead, I was so tired when I got home that I spent most of the evening on the couch with Carlos on my lap (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Then last night I tried to get a few things done before the Bruins game started, and it went until past my bedtime--these eight o'clock starts, ugh. (It was an entertaining game, with a few uh-oh moments, and the right result: the Bruins won, tying the series. Whew.)

And tonight, I went to the stitch and bitch near work, which I won't be going to now that I won't be working near there, and while I'm glad about the job change I'm sorry about not being part of this group. So I got home late, anyway, and there was the new Sookie Stackhouse to read (on the couch, with Carlos on my lap), and now it's late. Later.

Tomorrow? Well, I'm having dinner with a friend, and then it's the Bruins again. So, you know. Probably not.

But just to put something here ... Let me ask you a question. It's like a survey: what would you do?

I'm currently perturbed at my newspaper delivery person, who is throwing the paper at the foot of the outside stairs by the garbage cans, instead of up by the door. (I already have to come down a flight of stairs, I'm not awake, I'm wearing a robe ... I just want it by the door.)

I haven't sent him a tip recently, mostly because his way of delivering makes me cross on a daily basis, not grateful. In the past, before this started happening, I would send a tip every once in a while (every few months), with a note saying, "Thanks for getting the paper on the porch!" or "Thanks for getting the paper by the door!" But apparently that message didn't get through.

Or perhaps it did, and to punish me for not tipping more, or more often, he changed his behavior?

In this situation, what would you do?
  • continue to not tip
  • send a small tip
  • send a small tip with a note indicating that larger tips go to those who get the paper where I want it, by the door
  • other
I don't expect perfection every day, and I'm understanding in winter, when the pile of plowed snow makes things difficult. But at this time of year, there's no good reason not to put the paper by the door. Where I want it.

5 comments:

  1. Jeez, we don't tip our delivery people (we get both the Washington Post and the NY Times). Never even thought about it.

    You could try the nice route first - small tip with a note but be careful the note doesn't seem snarky; people can be so touchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I'm non-confrontational, I would try calling the circulation department (or whoever at the newspaper supervises delivery.) I am sure they deal with this stuff all the time, and maybe they can fix it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://bostonglobe.com/subscribers/information/faq.aspx?id=4958#oandd6

    I think most newspapers have this type of service. I looked at the Globe, but you could poke around the customer service/circulation section of whatever paper you get and find similar info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Cate -- call the circulation department and lodge a complaint. Tell them the paper USED to be put in the proper place and is not anymore and you would like the driver spoken to. Then after the situation has been rectified for a couple of weeks, send in a tip as a reinforcement for good behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave a note saying you're not tipping unless the paper ends up in that place (the desired spot, specified). And then follow through.

    ReplyDelete