Friday, May 06, 2011

Friday Night, pre-Bruins edition

This morning on the way to work, I heard three or four of my favorite crank-up-the-radio-and-sing songs in a row, which isn't unprecedented, but still, on top of The New Job*, and how well the Bruins are playing, and it being Friday, and the sun shining, it felt like a very good thing.** And it made me think that my brother was right: I should buy a lottery ticket.

*And thank you all for the good wishes!
**On the way home, I listened to English Beat (on cassette!), and saw the first lilacs budding. Spring! It's here!

Also on the way home, I saw this funky little car, and I had to wonder: do you think there's a removable head-support for the passenger side, or is it every man for himself?


Also in pictures, Miri this morning, trying to look out the window and monitor my intentions simultaneously:


And Carlos being fully unconcerned with my intentions, and contemplating a busy day of napping:


And there were some fabulous-smelling flowers (well, a flowering bush, actually) in a parking lot:

What is it? Do you know?

**********
By the way, I was looking in old e-mails for something, and happened upon this message, sent to a few friends on 11/15/09:
While I do still have my job, I am starting to look around the job market, scary as it is, in search of a position better suited to me. I would like to get back into proofreading, or perhaps copy editing, or something similar. Words, my friends, I want to work with words! It's time to brush up the resume and get it out there. Please, keep me in mind, would you? If you hear of an opening for a wordsmith, let me know.
So this situation of flux has been going on for even longer than I remembered.

**********
At work this morning, the other proofreader and I received an invitation that the rest of the department got on Tuesday, for lunch today. (Sometimes, being a temporary employee is more than just a state of mind ... we don't always hear about things before they happen.) A few times, there have been department lunches for people's birthdays and the like, but this one was unspecific about the why of it. Hmmm. Suspicious.

My decision about going was fairly easy, since I am now slipping into short-term syndrome. It won't be my problem for long, no big deal. But I did decide to bring my knitting, so that if there was a period of time after eating when it felt politic to sit and listen, and not leave the room as I might otherwise be inclined, I would have something to do with my hands. I'm better at sitting through things that way.

My conclusions:
  • It's true, there really is no such thing as a free lunch.
  • If you have chosen marketing as your field, then a presentation and discussion of branding, with a promise of follow-ups, may be as fun as you think it is; if, however, you have fallen into proofreading as a profession and just happen to work in the marketing department, then most of what you will hear will sound more like, "jargon jargon buzzword mumble blah."
  • Bringing the knitting was a very good idea. I was able to segue from "eat pizza instead of saying what just crossed my mind" directly into "move hands, not lips", which was for the best. Definitely. (I don't have a lot of contact with this guy, but enough to have already learned that he does not "get" my sense of humor in the slightest.)
So. Contentedness here Chez Cat Hair. Go Bruins! Happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Cute kitties. Um, is it a hyacinth?

    So. . . how 'bout them Bruins? (Darnit.)

    ReplyDelete