Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Step Back That Is a Step Forward

It's official! Tomorrow is my last day at this job, Tuesday I start elsewhere. End of the tease commences now.

So here's what happened: last week, I heard from the company where I used to be a proofreader, up until they had layoffs two years ago August. You know, the place where I worked when I started blogging (if you've been around that long), where I had the garden. They wanted to bring in a temporary proofreader, and wondered if I might be interested and available.

Now, I would by far prefer a permanent job, I won't lie. Hence all the efforts to find out if TPWII* was planning to make a decision any time soon**. However, just getting off the subway*** and back into my car for the commute is a big plus. Add in the fact that I know (and like!) many people still there, that I know something about the products and style, and then consider that they're paying more than I'm making now, and I am sold.

*The Place Where I Interviewed
**I talked to the recruiter at 11 Monday morning, and told him why I was hoping to get a sense of their timeline. He said that he didn't know, but he was meeting with the hiring manager "this morning" and hopefully he could give me an answer by the end of the day. And of course, nothing was heard from him again. Color me not-so-optimistic. This feels like the job-hunting equivalent of He's Just Not That Into You.
***Yes! It's the end of the bitching about the subway! See, now you're excited!

Whew. Looking back at the summer, it seems so ... placid, compared to late September/October. Between trips to Apple Festival and Rhinebeck and Florida, and job interviews and possibilities and changes, it feels like I've been on a roller coaster for, oh, the last three weeks, with another three weeks to come. Not all bad stuff (I like roller coasters), just a lot of it.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray that you get to leave your current place and go to some place that might be not be 100% ideal, but is a great improvement just the same. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I'm glad something positive has worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, good! I know it's not permanent but I am sure what you've been doing will lead to good things. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news! I'm very happy for you and hope it all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete