Monday, September 27, 2010

My Body Is Trying to Hibernate

It was not a fun morning.

Nothing went wrong, nothing was seriously out of whack, and the bus wasn't even a factor, since I drove to the T (in order to have the car after work). But it was chilly and rainy and depressing. I hated to leave the cat snuggled in bed and get up in the first place. It was too chilly not to wear a jacket, but too warm on the T to wear it, so I had to carry it along with my umbrella and bag of purse/lunch/shoes/book/water/knitting. The bag that Just Kept Slipping Off My Shoulder, until I was muttering curses, ready to dump it by the side of the road.

This doesn't really sound like much, I know. I can't even explain what was so unpleasant, why I was so depressed by it. Maybe it still relates to the roller coaster of the last few weeks, as I went from expecting my job to end October first to:
  • finally finding a job listing I want, applying for it
  • they called me!
  • I got voice-mail when I called back
  • my boss says she's filing the paperwork to extend my position, that I'm doing a great job (news to me that she thinks so)
  • talked to the recruiter, get set to arrange interview
  • set date for interview
  • boss says position is extended through the end of 2011, if I'm interested
  • interview
  • post-interview nerves, with a side of thank-you notes
Ten days of a little too much excitement. And now I'm in limbo, and this was supposed to be my last week at this job (but it looks like it won't be), I should be feeling kind of scared and kind of excited, and looking forward to some time off as a consolation: I may be out of work, but at least I can sleep in! And get stuff done (from the mundane, like scrubbing the litter boxes, to the delightful, like maybe, after Apple Festival and Rhinebeck, I'd be able to visit my mother). Wear jeans, or even sweatpants. And not have to take the T to work.

Yeah, I guess that didn't help me face a rainy Monday morning. I'm feeling conflicted, can you tell?

Honestly, some days are just grumpy, anyway. Today I felt like my skin was oilier than usual, and more hairs were falling out (and tickling my ears or eyelashes on their way). Even wearing my Abrazo vest and hand-knit socks didn't raise my mood. And isn't there enough caffeine in a 20-ounce Coke to keep a person from yawning through the rest of the day? (Apparently not.)

I'm going to go find this guy and go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I am right with you on ALL of this. I love rainy days but I love being home for them.

    I'm crossing my fingers and sending out the good thoughts for you to hear something back soon!

    ReplyDelete