Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Let's Talk About Something Else

Thinking about my friend's mother who died, and the corresponding thoughts of when my dad died, is depressing. And right now, job and job-search limbo thoughts are depressing. Let's go with a random, bulleted list of Anything Else. Shall we?
  • When I was listening to the Bruins preseason game from Montreal last week, the announcers cracked me up a few times. Not being a close follower of Montreal's Tomas Plekanec, I found it funny that they mostly called him "Plek", not that the nickname doesn't make sense (and when they used his full name, they pronounced it differently than I've heard it, which is PlehCANitch [in Montreal, they said it more like PLEKanick]).
  • I am, however, used to my favorite Bruin's name, and our announcers don't pronounce his name Bear'geron.
  • The funniest one, though, wasn't a player name, but a term. When a team's power play is almost over, their goalie will bang his stick on the ice so his teammates know time's running out. I've never heard that practice named, but apparently (?) it's called "beaver-tailing". Learn something new every day!
  • I've lost a little more weight this month. Not much, but after stalling for months, it's nice to see the number finally go down again. And no, I didn't change a damned thing. Crazy.
  • When I had dinner with a friend last week, the first thing she said was that I'd lost weight. I saw her in July, and I haven't lost much since then, but still the validation was nice. Put down the cookies.
  • I finished the little shawl/neck-warmer that I made for work. I have to get some pictures of it on, to show the full effect, but I like it. Here it is, before washing, and blocking (under supervision by the pin-checker):


  • It's a wee bit prickly, but over time I'll pull out the guard hairs, and that will improve.
  • Fall is really coming here. It gets cooler at night, sometimes much cooler, even when it's hot during the day--and often it isn't hot. Also, the leaves are starting to change here and there, and it's beautiful. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
  • It was, however, quite sickeningly humid yesterday (granted, it rained on and off too; hard not to be humid in the rain), and this morning wasn't much better. Not too bad now, but it's supposed to rain again later tonight. Naturally.
  • I was in Providence Saturday night with friends (we saw Camelot at Trinity Rep, it was really good), and one of the topics of conversation after dinner was what we would do if one of us won the lottery. I was just thinking about what to say, when I looked up and saw the following, and my train of thought completely derailed.
  • Understandably, I think. The conversation naturally veered as well, we walked on, and it was a good five minutes before I remembered to give my idea. I opened my mouth, and there it was going by us again. I kind of felt like this extremely bizarre thing was following us, waiting for me to think about winning the lottery.
  • Though I don't know why he'd care if I won the lottery.
  • No, I don't know why Caprio is campaigning with a rocket car.
  • The Bruins are currently down 1-0 in tonight's pre-season game against Washington. In last night's game, they lost 3-2. Ah, well. It's not even half-way through; they have time.
  • The team leaves tonight for Belfast, where they will play an exhibition game against a local team.
  • Then they go to the Czech Republic, to open the season against Phoenix.
  • The two games they play there are over Columbus Day weekend, when I'll be in New York for Apple Festival. Piffle.
  • Time to get on with the evening. I did return a nearly-overdue library book and get groceries, so it hasn't been a wasted evening, but I should perform some routine kitty maintenance before bed.

2 comments:

  1. You just didn't want to say you'd buy a rocket car if you won the lottery. C'mon, you know it'd be faster than the T.

    I like the scarf! And my pin-swatting Cat says, "Good job!" to the Pin-Checker.

    WV: "flexhol" -- the fuel used to power a rocket car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the highway, he points the rocket in the other direction. Campaign slogan: "THOU SHALT NOT TAILGATE."

    My favorite hockey name story regards former Anaheim keeper Guy Hebert, a native of upstate New York, whom people automatically assumed was French-Canadian. His family was startled to watch him on TV and hear the announcers call him "gee AY-bear" when it's actually plain ol' "guy HEH-burt."

    Such fun. Of course, the actual French-Canadian names are fun when you want to taunt an opposing player who riles you - a buddy of mine loved to say "Pat ROY" and "MAR-tin BRO-Dur" instead of "Patrick WAH" and "mar-TAN bro-DURE".

    ReplyDelete