Sunday, January 13, 2008

That's not a baby hat, it's a space station

You ever pick up a knitting pattern that looks cute, only to find it brings grief in its wake?

No, me either.

Well, actually, I just finished this so-called baby hat:


which I could tell early on would fit no human baby, and then I had problems with its instructions later, too. I still don't know what's going on; I totally had to fudge it to end up with a completed hat, and was left with a major feeling that I missed something.

The pattern is the Iceland Printed Wool Baby Hat, found here. I thought it looked cute, and although I didn't have the called-for yarn on hand, I substituted and got gauge, so I figured it would work. Before I finished the ribbed edge, I could tell it was going to be more of a child-sized hat, but I decided to keep going anyway (it will fit someone, after all). Further on, though, I hit more trouble.

The hat top goes into three points, as you can see:

You knit until the body is a certain length, then you take one third of the stitches, Kitchener them, and do a few inches of I-cord (which are then knotted). So far, so good. But after that? It says, "Repeat this two more times." And the problem I have is a simple one. It must be simple, but I'm damned if I can figure it out.

When I finish the first point and bind it off, I no longer have working yarn attached to the piece. Where am I supposed to get the yarn from, to do the Kitchener and I-cord for the next point, and the last one? It has to be a simple answer, it has to be, but I am absolutely stumped. No one on Ravelry who made it mentions anything they had to fiddle with, so am I just supposed to know? It must be obvious, or supposed to be obvious, or the pattern would say, but I can't see it myself. So I faked it, and it worked all right, but I don't really want to make another one (say, to make one that actually is baby-sized) while I feel like I'm missing something. It's frustrating.

It is a cute hat, though. I'll see if my cousin thinks her 8-year-old would wear it. I think it would fit him (baby hat ... right).

I've spent the day doing laundry, and am finally almost done. I didn't do any last weekend, so it really piled up. I complicated things for myself today by twisting my ankle as I was getting started, and while I didn't do any big damage to it, fortunately, it's sore, and it's made the stairs more of a chore than I needed them to be. (I missed the last step going down to the machines with the first load, and fell like a bag of bricks. Ouch.) When the last load is out, I'm going to soak in the bath for a little while. It should help the ankle, and always fascinates the cats, which is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment