Monday, January 14, 2008

Aches, Pains, and more Winter

Plus, Whack-a-Vole?

So I twisted my left ankle yesterday, and with the shoveling this morning, my back is a little sore now. My right shoulder has been bothering me, to the point where I'm going to go to the doctor to see if it's arthritis like my hands, or something else. Tonight my right quad muscle is also sore, which I imagine is compensation from the left ankle.

I'm a mess!

Then there's this:


Just when the improved weather had melted most of December's contribution (not even all of it, but most), we get more. I probably cleared 6 inches off my car this morning, and shoveled around my car, plus thanks to the plow guy not having arrived*, I got to dig out enough of the driveway end (you know, where the heavy wet stuff from the street plowing is) to get my car out. Thrilling.

*By 9:15? WTF?

In addition to the above photo, I caught a bird-in-flight at the feeder we have at work:


See?


Finally, I noticed holes in the snow below the feeder, and caught glimpses of some little guy darting in and out. I am assured that it's a vole, although I don't know on what authority, exactly. He did, however, prove that the holes are a network, by popping between them in rapid succession.



Whatever he is, he's small, dark, and super-fast!

1 comment:

  1. I love watching chickadees in wintertime. They're so pretty and crisp-looking.

    Did the little guy have a tail at all? Mice have long tails, and voles look a lot like mice on steroids with short tails, around 1" long.

    ReplyDelete