Saturday, November 10, 2007

What Saturday brought

Wait until you see the yarn I bought today!

No, I mean it, you'll have to wait. I want to photograph it in natural light, and with the time change, it got dark so early, ugh, that I missed today's brief window of opportunity. Perhaps tomorrow.

I can tell you its story, though. I've been being really good about not buying yarn, or otherwise frivolously disposing of my limited (by bills) income, for a while now, but last week I got an e-mail saying that my favorite LYS, the Knitting Room in Arlington, is closing by the end of the year (so sad! snif), and you know what that means: yarn sale!

Judging by the look of the store today, only ten days after the announcement went out, the inventory won't last another week (though apparently they'll still be running all the scheduled classes). I had a good time squeezing lots of yarn, and in the end I fell for this cotton-merino blend from Peru, Mirasol Cotanani, which I'd never even heard of before, but the color! You'll see. At least, it spoke to me, and what it said was "take me home". So I did. I don't know what it wants to be yet, so I put all but one skein away for now (I kept one out as a toy; you know).

I also picked up a couple of library books*, and bought cat food and appallingly expensive gasoline, so there were some ordinary accomplishments to the day as well. And I got a good night's sleep last night, and I got to hear the national anthem performed on the trumpet before the start of tonight's game, so there's something you don't see every day. Or ever, much. It wasn't bad, actually, though I wouldn't want to see it done every time. The Bruins are playing a bit better, I say cautiously, making some nice passes, but they haven't scored yet, so that would probably help, I'm thinking.

*And came home and read one of them, Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay. If you haven't read his books yet (this is the third in the series), and you like mysteries, then go, now, and pick up Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Go on, go! He's good. I had actually taken this book out of the library a few weeks ago, but it was one of those weeks that got away from me, and I didn't finish it before it was due back. Today I went in to pick up a hold (Bill Bryson's Shakespeare: The World as Stage, and saw Dexter on one of the new tables, so I scarfed it up. They're both 7-day books, so I figured it was only necessary to get one taken care of right away! As if I need an excuse to read...

No comments:

Post a Comment