Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A book tree, and the other kind

How much fun is the book tree?


I found it on Boing Boing, which is a source for such a range of oddball stuff, words can hardly describe.

This weekend I want to get mine own wee* Christmas tree, of which I was self-deprived last year having just moved and having enough chaos in my life and home without bringing in a piece of the forest. But I miss my ornaments and that wonderful smell, oh that smell. Love it!

*Maybe only five feet tall, instead of seven. :)

I did toy with the idea of going to a farm and cutting one fresh, but someone at work said that she went to Smolak Farms in North Andover and did that and it was $60 for any size tree, which is probably a deal if you're buying one to fill the foyer of your McMansion, but seems like remarkably less of a deal for a small tree. Like it's twice what I'd like to spend. Actually, I'd like to find one for $5, but realistically, $30 is more within the realm of possibility. I'd also like to get one that isn't shedding needles on its way IN the door, so we shall see. If you feel like crossing your fingers for me, that would be appreciated.

I finished the second mitten tonight, and the funniest thing happened in the process. (Well, I think it's funny, perhaps fortunately.)

I started it at stitch and bitch on Monday, and since I was watching the Bruins game at the same time, I made the decision not to count rows but just to wing it in terms of making it like the first one. Today, when I started thinking about switching from the blue to green, I decided to switch earlier, rather than try to match where I switched on the first one and (inevitably) be off by one row. They don't have to be identical twins, after all, right? What does it matter?

I looked at the finished pair tonight, and they are identical. Hilarious: only when I'm not trying. Knitting has a mind of its own, you know?

Now to start the next pair. Well, not tonight, but perhaps during tomorrow night's Bruins game.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing a pair of mittens! I'll try not to be envious....won't work, but I'll try ... :-)

    p.s. We /I do not do trees until at least 7 days before Christmas. It is a challenge some years, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee! Yep, only when you never try. Serendipity's kinda weird sometimes. But hey, you finished the pair. Congrats!

    MonicaPDX
    http://monicapdx.livejournal.com/

    (Blogger's apparently switching wholesale to either you sign into to Google/Blogger to comment, or choose anonymous if you don't have an account/don't wanna bloody well sign in. Thus the sigline...)

    ReplyDelete