Monday, November 12, 2007

What I Learned

Sometimes you have to try really hard to see the bright side, but heaven knows, I try. And here's what I have learned lately (it's a small lesson, but good to know):

I hate seed stitch.

We don't get along. We don't work well together. We are not compatible.

So now I know.

The way I found out is, someone in my stitch and bitch group thought it would be nice if we knit a scarf or two for Christmas for the waitresses we have regularly where we meet, and all of us would knit part of it, so it would be a group gift. I thought that was a lovely idea, and agreed to take part. Last week, the scarf was handed to me, and I learned that for me, seed stitch, which is extremely simple (or so it would seem), yet falls between the categories of "so simple I hardly have to pay attention" and "must watch and track every stitch and step of the way". That is, I really do have to pay attention to every stitch, but I can't seem to convince myself of it. I kept trying to do crazy things like talk to people while I was knitting (how radical!), and then I would look down and oh shit, look what I did.

It's knit one purl one, for the love of god, how can I have so much trouble with it!

But I do. For some reason, to get it right, I have to sit there and say "knit, purl, knit, purl" and not be distracted. I don't know why this is, but it is. At least I learned before I fell in love with a pattern involving seed stitch; I'm wise to it now, I won't get sucked in to that! Add it to basketweave as stitches I prefer to avoid. There's no shame in that.

4 comments:

  1. Good to know, yes. I do love how it looks, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sanity is important to us. Step away from the scarf...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem until I stopped counting and instead realized that you actually make seed stitch by looking at your work, and knitting purls and purling knits. Not counting. I was a whiz from then on out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so funny. i'm sitting here knitting on a scarf while reading your blog.

    a scarf that i have changed the garter stitch borders for seed stitch because i prefer seed stitch. :)

    to each his own. life is too short to knit something you don't like doing!

    ReplyDelete