Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Some unusual things from today

This morning on the way to work, I came up alongside a truck that I could see had something unusual on the back. The first part I saw looked like a large cement rectangle, maybe 7 feet long and a couple of feet wide and high, and I wasn't sure what it was.

Then as I got closer, I could see a similarly-sized item in front of it, which was a little more shaped on top and apparently gold leaf (quite the contrast), and I drove alongside saying, "Mausoleum?" in as puzzled a tone as you might imagine. Finally, I could see the logo on the truck door, which was Paradise Grave Monuments (or something similar; I couldn't take a picture and I didn't write it down).

So, yes, maybe not technically a mausoleum, I'm not up on the finer points of the terminology in this field, but basically, that's what it was. One very, very plain, and the other oh-so-fancy. Interesting!

I also read an interesting story today, about a man who is traveling around North America to see 30 NHL games in the 30 arenas in 30 days. Wow! What a fascinating concept, and how interesting that it's even possible to see all 30 in 30. According to the article, the cost will come in at "well under $10,000", which really isn't bad when you consider the logistics of the concept. Apparently, he sat down with the schedule, pen and paper, and a spreadsheet, and it took 2 days to figure out how to do it (I kind of feel like, only two?). What a trip that would be!

And in the final item of interest from today, it's the latest in the catalog war, wherein I get more catalogs than I have time to look at. Lately I've been copying my boss, and bringing in a few to look at over lunch. Otherwise, they're getting out of hand. Some of them just sent a new one 3 weeks after the last one! I do recycle them, but what a waste! (And who has time to call them all and say stop sending them? I admit, I don't get to that very often.) Anyway, tonight was notable because I got three catalogs*, and I've never heard of any of them before!

*The number isn't the notable part; it's far from the record, which I think was 9 in one day.

They are:
  • Wolferman's (A Tradition of Fine Food Since 1888)
  • Betty's Attic (Where memories of yesterday live on today!)
  • Design Toscano, with such a startling cover that I photographed it, just for you:

Who do you suppose decided to put the "Big Foot, the Garden Yeti" Sculpture on the front, decked out in Christmas lights and a Santa hat? And who exactly is the Santa in the background shushing? The kid is asleep, and the yeti is looking the other way (permanently). Perplexing.

4 comments:

  1. That's the funniest thing I've seen on a blog all day. I'm more or less speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Amy....A Christmas Yetti kind of leaves me speechless! I mean, what would Christmas be without that Yetti in the yard---it's a tradition, right?

    Where do they get this stuff? And better yet, what have you been ordering that they thought that YOU might want a yard yetti of your very own...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even HAVE a yard!

    And I can't imagine what I ever ordered to get on this list ... catalogs work in mysterious ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ::SNORK::

    Oh gawd...

    ::rare instance of me being speechless. well, almost.::

    ReplyDelete