Friday, October 19, 2007

I have some sacrilege here

I'm sorry to have to say this, but the Red Sox are no longer on my "I wish them the best in a non-baseball-fan sort of way" list. They aren't quite on my shit list, I don't actively wish them ill, but somewhere in between. What might that list be called? Well, anyway, thanks to them, I'll be missing the start of tomorrow's Bruins game, because they moved the start from 7pm back to 4pm and I have an appointment in Boston that's from 2-4. Thanks, Sox!

Interesting side note: the Globe asked Bruins coach Claude Julien earlier in the week if the game time might be moved thusly, and he said no. Guess it's not his decision, eh?

What irritates me is the assumption that all Bruins fans must want to watch the Red Sox game, so we mustn't conflict. I do know that there are huge numbers of Sox fans, it is called Red Sox Nation. (For my team, it's more like Bruins Subdivision. If that.) The way they phrased it just irritated me:
We recognize that Bruins fans are also supporters of other Boston sports teams, in particular the Boston Red Sox and their current playoff run.
No, I'm not. How about a qualifier? "We recognize that many Bruins fans..." What would be wrong with that?

In the happy-hockey category, the team is doing well so far. We even have the goalie with the top Goals Against in the league. Of course, it's Tim Thomas, not our big-name, big-deal Manny Fernandez, but whatever. Who cares who's doing it, as long as it's getting done? What I find most encouraging is that if they play badly or get scored on, they don't fold: they keep playing, come back. Now that is something we haven't seen much of in recent years, you know?

2 comments:

  1. I thought about you when I heard the news of the time conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they'd move the start time of the baseball game, actually, so I could get to bed before midnight. What's wrong with a nice, Saturday afternoon baseball game? It feels more like spring out there anyway. Stupid TV prime time ratings nonsense...

    ReplyDelete