Monday, October 22, 2007

Oh, Bruins! Ouch!

I was out this evening, and only turned on the Bruins game when I got in the car at 9:30. I was waiting for them to tell me the score, when the Bruins scored, yay!

"Got on the scoreboard" ... oh, they hadn't scored yet? And we're in the third period?

"Making it 4-1" ... ouch, Montreal has 4 and we just got 1?

I drove home listening, then hurried into the house to find that Montreal scored again in the short time it took me to get to the TV. So, 5-1. And a final score of 6-1, which I'm sure would have been yet more if the merciful clock had not run out and ended the pain.

So, our great new goalie, picked up in the offseason, I'm not so impressed. If Manny Fernandez really is so good and just needs to get his head on and get into game shape, could they send him down to Providence to do that? (Sorry, P-Bruins fans.) He's been so inconsistent! Lose his first game ... win the next one, but by 8-6, which isn't such a great win from the goalie's perspective ... get a shutout on Saturday, very promising ... and now this.

As the TV guys said, the Bruins will probably play Tim Thomas in the next game. I should think so! The way he's playing, he deserves the time. I know he can't play 80 games, very very few goalies these days can do it all, but creepers, he's leading the league right now, put him in net!

For that matter, I don't know why the coach didn't sub him in when it was 4-0. Get Fernandez out of there and see if the Bruins could turn it around with Thomas in goal. I'm not saying I know more about hockey than they do, but why keep him in? To see if he could pull himself together?

Let me answer that: no. Not tonight, anyway. Any goalie can have a bad night (who remembers when Patrick Roy left Montreal?), but ouch. Really, that's all I want to say. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment