Sunday, October 21, 2007

weekend notes

First, in a knitting note, I counted the stitches in the cowl, and there are 105. As I was counting and got close to the end, I thought that there might actually be exactly 100 stitches, which would have cracked me up since I didn't count them as I cast on, just kept going until there were enough to join without difficulty. Still, 105 is close enough.

Following up on my hockey-game-time-switching bitterness, let me just note that the Bruins won, even if they did get rescheduled. It was 1-0 in a shootout, thank you Phil Kessel, our amazing comes-through-in-the-shootout kid. When it came to the third shooter, I knew before they said that it would be him. He had an amazing record last year, in his rookie season, no less. He wasn't even expected to make the team in camp, and he did, stayed all year, overcame treatment for cancer in December, and can really put them away in the shootout. He was the only scorer yesterday; very impressive. The Bruins have now won four straight, and are 5-2. Enjoy it while it lasts, but it sure is nice.

Friday night I went to the movies, and the theater was pretty close to where I went to high school, so the drive was a bit of memory lane. As if the radio stations knew where I was going, I heard several songs from the 80s or thereabouts:
  • David Bowie, Changes
  • Huey Lewis and the News, Heart of Rock'n'Roll
  • Supertramp, Goodbye Stranger
  • Prince, I Would Die 4 U
We saw The Jane Austen Book Club, and it was really good! I read the book, but haven't re-read it in a while, so I can't give chapter and verse on how faithful the movie was to the book, but the movie was good. In fact, I liked Grigg better in the movie! Anyway, if it's your sort of thing, do see it.

It's been unseasonably warm recently, it probably hit 80 today, but it cools down at night. I'm about to close the last window I had open, as the breeze coming in is decidedly chilly. But it smells marvelous. I do love autumn. I think it's my favorite season, because I love it for itself and not what it portends. I mean, if you think about it, Fall means summer is over and winter is coming. What's to like about that? One should prefer Spring, which means that winter is over at last, summer is finally possible. And I certainly do like Spring! But in autumn, when the leaves turn beautiful colors and smells of neighboring cook-outs are replaced by smells of fires-in-fireplaces, I drive around smiling.

1 comment:

  1. I was out driving in Danvers this weekend and couldn't believe the leaves. They were almost neon!

    ReplyDelete