Thursday, October 04, 2007

Not the best day, but better is ahead

Well, work's been getting busier as we start the next catalog, and then today a new project came up that had me working hard every minute, and then I got stopped for speeding on the way home. So, not the best day I've ever had.

She gave me a warning, not a ticket, thank heavens, but it still threw me off my stride somehow. I'm such a goody-two-shoes overall that the flashing lights were unsettling. I mean, I'm not perfect; I was speeding, and no extenuating circumstances* can deny that. Still, there's an element of bad luck in being pulled over, too. I could have (and often do) go the other way, except that there was an accident on 128 so I decided to take the back way home. And there wasn't another car around, so I was the only target. And...

*The road I work on is narrow and curvy and deserving of a 30 MPH speed limit, except that where it crosses over a highway, it's wide and straight and open, and you accelerate to climb the incline and then she was on the other side. Busted!

But I don't want to dwell on that. I'm going to try to talk myself into a better mood. I'm taking a day off tomorrow, because it's time once again for Apple Festival! This is a big craft fair that takes place near where my grandmother lives, over Columbus Day weekend every year. Since it started when I was little, and my birthday is always around then, it's always felt to me like a personal event, like it's for my birthday. I love looking at all the Stuff (and buying some of it), and eating the Fire Department's french fries, and I get to see my aunt and Grandma too (sorry that that sounds like an afterthought: it isn't really).

The last few years, I've joined my aunt in volunteering at her church's tent: they do a barbecue chicken lunch and sell apple pies. This year, she's also volunteering with the Chamber of Commerce selling Apple Festival t-shirts, so I'm doing that instead. Should be fun! I hope the t-shirts are nice ones.

So that's a good thing to think about. And tonight the local sports station, NESN, was playing Classic NHL, when they show an old Bruins game in an hour (obviously, they don't show every minute of the game, since it takes at least 90 to play the average game, not counting intermissions--or commercials!). It's fun to see, especially because it's always a good game: they're not going to pick one where the Bruins played badly or got creamed. So that's been fun, the sounds of hockey in the house, and some consolation for my missing the first two games of the season, because of course they have to start the season tomorrow night, when I'm in NY.

And then next week's games are late ones, starting at 10 and 10:30, because they're on the road, and the West Coast, because the stupid circus is in town, so I won't be seeing much of those, either. Sigh. It's really almost like the season doesn't start for another two weeks, in the sense of my being able to watch games!

But wait, I was trying to cheer myself up! How about Tuesday night, my actual birthday, when friends are taking me out to dinner? That's happy! (Mum, we're going to Pearl Street!) And Wednesday, I'm going to twin-sit, which will be fun, too. That's where I was Tuesday evening this week, and they're just so sweet.

And, I checked on my Ravelry invite, and I'm getting closer to being in:

Found you!
  • You signed up on August 22, 2007
  • You are #27720 on the list.
  • 4325 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 11827 people are behind you in line.
  • 58% of the list has been invited so far

These are good things to think about, and I will do so while I finish my packing. I can't imagine I'll be blogging until I get back, so y'all have nice weekends, whatever you do, okay?

4 comments:

  1. Happy pre-birthday! I hope you have/had a good weekend - sounds like fun.

    I got my invite two days ago and haven't dared go sign in - I'll do that this weekend when I can spend a couple of hours poking around - LOL - it's exciting just thinking about it :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Have fun at the apple festival! Fall is such a nice time to have a birthday, I think. :)

    Lucky you got a warning. I got a ticket on the last day of the month in a speed trap on the way home from taking my children to say goodbye to my dying mother. Doesn't that scream out for "just a warning, ma'am"? But no. Ticket. And I lost it, and was too hysterical to drive, and the trooper left me on the side of the road, exposed and frightened we'd get rear-ended. Then 6 weeks later I went to court to get it cleared through RI's good driver law, which is good, but it made me think of that awful day all over again, which was bad.

    The police, they make it hard to like them much, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a very happy birthday!! (ahead of time, since I'll be in H*ll at the NBRO on that day, and won't be able to get within 50 miles of reading any blogs!!) Sounds like you have a fun evening planned!

    The Apple Festival sounds fun as well. The last big festival of the year up here, The Salmon Days Festival in Issaquah, is this weekend and it's supposed to pour rain...welcome to Seattle! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I hope you had fun at the t-shirt stand. I'm such a sucker for fair swag. If I buy one more screenprinted canvas tote bag Patrick is going to make me pack all of my belongings up in them and move out!

    ReplyDelete