Thursday, June 28, 2007

the water baby

I don't know if I've mentioned how much Pan loves water, in all forms short of total immersion.

He wants his water bowl full, and when I make it "fresh" water, he follows me back, either tripping me on the way or sitting where the bowl goes while he waits for me to put it down already, put it down!

He drinks out of the toilet (I have to get a good photo of that).

He's fascinated on the rare occasions when I take a bath, perching on the edge of the tub and patting the surface of the water with his paw.

When I lived in a house with a shower door, he sat outside it while I showered and tried to "catch" the drops as they fell.

And he loves the shower after I shower. He'll even hop in when it's dry sometimes and meow at me: who does a guy have to know to get a wet shower around here? Quite often, when I pull the shower curtain back in the morning, he's waiting on the bathmat, and hops in before I have a towel around my hair.

He's an addict, actually. I was curious, before my guests came, if he was going to get in after their showers, and the answer was an emphatic yes. One day, I even had to shut him in my room. The instant the shower was turned off, he went over to the bathroom door and started meowing, demanding entrance: Let me in! I know you have a wet shower!

I let him out of the bedroom once the bathroom was vacated. He sauntered out, making it clear he was doing so of his own choice, and went straight into the bathroom. Addict.

Now that the bathroom organizer table thing that was on backorder has finally arrived, I'll be working in the bathroom this weekend, hopefully, "installing" it. It came on Tuesday, and I put it together and left it in the living room (sans litter box) for the paint smell to dissipate and the cats to get used to it (so of course they're totally ignoring it). It looks pretty nice, but we'll see how it works in the space before sending up cheers and confetti. It wasn't too bad to put together, although the illustrations were too small to be much use, and the instructions were about as good as such things usually are, meaning not so much. Still, the end result is not unimpressive. What do you think?


I like it, which is (forgive me) what matters the most.

4 comments:

  1. That is sooo funny! I have a couple of "water babies" myself---American Shorthairs---they are weird! One walks into the shower while it's on and doesn't care, and the other I found wading in the tube thigh deep when I filled it one day! Apparently, none of them (yours or mine) read the water chapter in the cat manual...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My puppies like water...a LOT. Dixie in particular likes to add her nose to my morning showers. Duncan whines for me to refill her puppy pool so she doesn't have to resort to nose diving in the water dish. It gets changed more because she washes her dusty face in it than because it gets low!

    Your cat privacy room is totally adorable. Cheers on your assembly. I hope they use it! It looks easier to ignore (except for the odiferous factor) between cleanings. Denial is a major life coping skill of mine, can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, looks good. My cat, Andre, follows me into the bathroom ALL the time. He's my bathroom buddy. We had a cat that would perch on our knees when we took a bath. Another that would perch on the side of the tub and play with the water.

    Heh heh. Cats is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats are notorious aloof when it comes to litter box design, so it's a good thing you like the new furniture. :o) (I personally think it's a great solution to a common problem.) A good friend of mine has a Bengal kitty, who also loves water--but not as much as knottykitty's American Shorthairs.

    As a parting shot, youv'e been tagged for a meme. (Just what you wanted this weekend, right?) Head on over to today's post at my blog, and you'll get the scoop.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete