Friday, April 19, 2024

Thinking About Starting to Get Ready

I'm at the very early stages of planning a trip up to Boston* next month, and if you know me, you won't be surprised that after flights and telling friends, my next thought was what knitting to bring.
*By which I really mean New England, not the city itself

My current project is going well---it's the Beachy Keen shawl that I mentioned I might do---but the stripes mean I need 7 balls of yarn to work on it for more than a few rows, so that's out for travel knitting.

It's coming along well, though!

It took a bit of time to get a hold of how to do the trickiest rows, but it's now social knitting. Just not travel knitting.

However, Dawn Barker, the doyenne of assigned pooling projects (like the Roam shawl I did in 2022), has a new pattern out, called Swell, and I thought it would fit the bill. Like the edge of Roam, it mimics linen stitch, which I like the look of, and I have two skeins of an assigned pooling yarn from Wonderland that I could use.

I started it now, even though I'm not traveling until late May, because if it didn't work as travel knitting, I would still have time to figure something else out. But it's going to be just fine.


So that's one thing crossed off the list---just one thing, but an important one!

11 comments:

  1. I love those colors! Boston, but not the city? Is that a local saying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't being clear: all I meant was that, while I say I'm going to Boston, I don't actually spend any time in the city. My friends are scattered around the suburbs, and even in New Hampshire.

      Delete
  2. Nice knitting! And I love the word Doyenne and forget to use it. Great vocab today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, a trip to NE! That sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a little confused by Boston not really being Boston, but the scarf is really cool, and a little trip anywhere in late May sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston is my destination in the general sense, but I don't go into the city, other than the airport! My friends are scattered all over.

      Delete
  5. Meanwhile, I'm going to be away from my house for more than a week and I'm in absolute denial about it. Have done zero planning. Yay for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to pack/plan for fun travel, for sure.

      Delete
  6. Have a great trip! Just fwiw: I planned three projects to take along on my Fri-Sun trip last week, thinking that was way overkill, and I finished every one. Which you know means I'll pack way too much yarn the next several trips--that's better than running out.

    I hope you get to see a lot of old friends and favorite places.

    ReplyDelete