Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Time for More Movie Ratings! November, December, Start of January

It's been a while since I did these! If you're new, though I live in Florida now, I still read the Boston Globe, and I discovered at some point that their movie reviews add often hilarious notes to the ratings of new movies, so I started sharing them here.

Onward!

1.

Okay, okay...what?

2.
I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

3.
My goodness, PDA in a Trolls movie?

4.
In this one, the notes aren't really funny, but my eye fell on this sentence in the review itself:
Oof!

5.
This one isn't funny either, but they could just have written "No, this is not the movie for you, ccr" and stopped there.

6.
Another one that isn't really funny, but the review, whoa:



I don't usually read the reviews themselves, but that's some kind of scathing.

7. This one isn't from the Globe, but the headline in my local paper caught my eye.


Another oof!

8.
I understand why they want to specify which version they reviewed, but I don't think that should be part of the rating--I assume that the subtitled and dubbed versions would get rated the same. Wouldn't they? Thoughts on that?

9.
Vocabulary word! And what a word it is. Ahem.

10.
Around the world?

11.

That's one where the rating is good but the headline might be better.

12.
Watch out, there's language!

13.
Unless that's a typo, wow, half a star! Not even one star, but half!

So...have you seen any good movies lately?

13 comments:

  1. I love these! Hilarious! I've seen the previews for "The Marvels" and thought it might be OK. But the kitties--oh, my. John and I were disturbed by the rest of the offerings--mostly horror, ultra action/violence or super hero. Not our thing. I've decided that I don't like most R rated movies these days; I'm not a prude but I don't like feeling disturbed or uncomfortable, especially in a movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you: as with comfort reading, I'm in a comfort movies phase right now. Nothing creepy or scary, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes (almost weekly, I bet) we talk about what it would be like if Zelda were the size of Hannah and Hannah were the size of Zelda. I mean, if Zelda were fifty pounds, I assure you that every other member our household would be dead by now. Imagine those claws! And her teeth! So, man-eating kitties sounds about right to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough, I suppose if they could, they would. Sometimes I give Maggie a quick cuddle against her will, and I imagine that she's thinking, "If you weren't 20 times my size..."

      Delete
  3. Creatures that look like H.R. Pufnstuf! How can we resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahah these are so great, I love when you post them. I did see a movie lately - The Family Switch - which was ridiculous and silly but it was short, which is my barometer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a place for that kind of movie!

      Delete
  5. I tried to comment once and it kept giving me an error message. I am sure my comment was brilliant and witty, just so you know, so if I'm not now, it's down to the software.
    I saw The Marvels. It was not great - a friend just really wanted to get out for a movie and there was nothing else on. The man-eating kitties were probably the best part.
    I love Klaus - my daughter and I watch it every year at Christmas. I can't think of any other good movies I've seen lately, but these reviews are enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't you hate it when a comment vanishes! I'm always sure it was much better than when I try again.
      I go to the movies so infrequently, but wow do I love these ratings.

      Delete
  6. Ha! These crack me up!

    I have somehow watched two of the movies reviewed here: Candy Cane Lane, which was highly entertaining but deeply, unnervingly weird; and Saltburn which reminded me too much of The Talented Mr. Ripley for it to feel fresh or surprising, and also the leading actor was CLEARLY much older than the character he was supposed to portray and it took me out of the story. But also highly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entertaining isn't a bad thing to say about a movie. They don't all have to be fabulous. Just entertain me.

      Delete
  7. I remembered a thing from my first comment and will restate it even thought it was bitchy - I've read one book by Otessa Moshfegh and hated it so much I would never read or see anything remotely connected with her again. I may just have missed the point. I am comfortable with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being at peace with it is good! I was so annoyed by the ending of the first Jodi Picoult book I read that I vowed never to read anything by her. Is that fair? Maybe not, but I don't care.

      Delete