Tuesday, January 02, 2024

After the Holidays: A Little Looking Back

This sums up my main hope for the year:

Or, wait, how about this one, too?

Yes, please. 

My five-year journal has a space at the end of the year to write anything more, and at the end of 2022, gods help me, I wrote, "Another not-the-best-year done. May next year bring better health for Mom, and no surgeries! And better coping skills for me." Ha! Ha! Oh, past me, would that that were funny. 

Our holidays were in fact peaceful and quiet; believe me, this is not a complaint. Of the 10 days before this one, I didn't have to set my alarm for eight of them*, which was bliss. The alarm going off this morning was both literally and figuratively a rude awakening. And then to find out that someone else won the Powerball! Humph.

*The holidays, weekends, and a couple of vacation days.

While I have enjoyed reading the various summaries some bloggers are doing about their year, whether it's books specifically or about their year overall (though I did not keep up with commenting), I am not pushing myself that way, not this year anyway. Maybe I should make my motto for 2024 be The Year of Not Pushing Myself. Well, that needs workshopping. I don't usually do a motto/word/whatever of the year anyway, so why start now of all times?

General life update: Mom's health continues to improve, but very slowly and not in the perfect linear way of improving every day the way we would like. She is having less constant/debilitating pain in the post-surgery hip or in the also-messed-up-by-falling shoulder, but she is frustrated by how little energy she has. She starts PT next week, and I'm hoping that will help her.

Exercise not-much-of-an-update: I basically haven't been exercising, with the slight exception of the online stretch classes that I learned about through Engie. It cracks me up that a healthcare system in Wisconsin lets me log in to this class from Florida, but they have been completely welcoming, and a few minutes of stretching a few times a week is very much better than nothing. Even with all the craziness of 2023, I still attended more than half the classes, and that honestly does feel like an accomplishment.

Reading update: I finished 113 books last year (I don't keep track of ones I don't finish). Since I don't rate them*, I don't have a definitive list of 5-star reads, but I can say, looking over my list, that I really really liked (in chronological order by when I read them) Portrait of a Wide Seas Islander, by Victoria Goddard (though you have to have read The Hands of the Emperor first**); Love & Saffron, by Kim Fay; Nora Goes Off Script, by Annabel Monaghan; the Digger comics, by Ursula Vernon; the Saints of Steel series, by T Kingfisher; Thornhedge, by T Kingfisher; and the last two that I read in 2023, in the Ladies Occult Society series, A Magical Inheritance and A Ghostly Request, by Krista Ball--it's basically Jane Austen but with magic, and so so so well done. I can't recall the last character I was rooting so strongly for, and please tell me at once if you read them because the third book comes out March 1 and I am really hoping for a scene where Elizabeth gets to tell her father, in front of others, just why she (redacted redacted spoilers argh).

*But maybe I should: it would save me from looking over the list and trying to decide in hindsight if something was a 4 or a 5.

**I don't know if anyone else reads Goddard's books, but I love this series and would be happy to discuss them, suggest reading order, etc.

Maggie update: She continues to be practically perfect. Of course.








10 comments:

  1. I was so happy to see this update! Wishing you a very uneventful and happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! May your year be what you want it to be, as well.

      Delete
  2. I think we all want an uneventful 2024, and little to no use of the word "unprecedented". Thank goodness you have Maggie to keep you sane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does what she can! After all, if *she's* driving me crazy, how much attention can I give to anything else?

      Delete
  3. I just started my first five-year journal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard good things about T. Kingfisher, but have never read any of her books, but it seems like people really like her. I have been told by Engie that the one to start with is The Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking; have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, and I enjoyed it! My brother actually gave it to me a couple of years ago, so I suppose it was my first of hers.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I love all of her books! Yes, start with that one, or Illuminations.

      Delete
  5. Maggie is perfect! And yay for that healthcare system, whoever they are. I do ten minutes of back stretches every morning because I have to and 20-25 minutes of racewalking every evening, in part because I've seen how keeping in shape has helped my mom be 93 as if 93 were no big deal and I aspire to that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I love those wishes for the next year. I don't tend to make resolutions or have a big word for the year either, and I only do the book review posts because composing them keeps me going through the first couple of weeks of January.
    It was Christmas craziness and the weather absolutely sucked for a full ten days, so I haven't done yoga or walked or anything for a lamentable stretch. I do stretch every night before bed though, because if I skip even one day I feel it.

    ReplyDelete