Sunday, August 07, 2022

What a Knitter Leaves Behind

In writing about the stash left behind by a recently departed knitter, I mentioned that there were some interesting supplies, and here I am with photos to show it. Much of it was the sort of thing all crafters will leave behind, though I have some questions. 

Needle sizers, darning needles, crochet hooks. A few surprisingly long ones!

I mean, this is so long. Why?
Scissors, stitch holders, thimbles.
On the right, those make me think of the latch hook kits I did as a kid. Cable needles in the middle. Some mysterious tools on the left, maybe for making icord or pompoms? I'm guessing here.
And in the front, what is that? It looks like a small crochet hook, except for the undeniable lack of hook.
A couple of safety pins--the larger is so stiff I actually can't move it at all, let alone open it. And a couple more mysteries.
I believe this is a sewing tool, but it looks like a mini pizza cutter to me.
And this one looks like it would take the eyes out of potatoes, don't you think? 
What would it do in the craft room, though? The whole tool:
Also kind of like a latch hook?
But look how long it is!
I have more questions than answers, is what I'm saying.

She had a ton of knitting needles, as one does: mostly straight single-points, but also dpns and circulars. I kept some, but there are a lot left:

I threw away a lot of photocopied bits of patterns, and booklets that were incomplete or falling apart. There are a few books/booklets that I think are at least worth giving to the thrift shop, though. Maybe?

A solid, basic hardcover.
Mind you, it's as old as I am!
And her poor students, that's a backhand compliment.
This one is a bit more modern.
Old but in decent shape.
This one, honestly, just amuses me. The look of mild panic on her face!
I'm keeping a couple of books for myself. There's the book that the baby blanket pattern came from: it seems a useful addition to my library.
Oddly enough, Ravelry lists the first edition of The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting, but not the second. Oh well, whatever.

The other keeper is Elizabeth Zimmerman; always room on the shelf for EZ!

There's a lot of yarn. Next weekend I'm having lunch with a friend who is in a charity knitting group, and she's going to come over and see what she wants to take for them. Then I can pass the rest on to others. I am keeping some of it, but most of it will go to those who can use it now. 
There is a lot. Though when my mother was saying she couldn't believe how much there was, I had to point out to her that I have more than this. It's just spread out and thus not so obvious.

There are some very funny things in there, which make me wonder how long they were in the bottom of her stash. Mind you, I'm not judging! When I went through my stash four years ago to move, I got rid of a ton of "where did that come from, how long have I had that, why did I get that in the first place" yarn. Tons of it.

Still, this is funny:
Orlon! In what appears to be its original bag.

This kit looks like it was a gift: it's unopened, with a scrap of wrapping paper still stuck to the back. Anyone want to crochet a dog sweater?

Some fisherman yarn: "the feel of the sea," "the look of Scotland"...
Straight from California!
We all have our favorite yarns, and apparently hers was this, Latte Cakes from Caron:
She had two dozen full balls in a variety of colors, as well as some partials. It's soft, but I'm not a big fan of the fuzz level.

Which also rules out me keeping this mystery:

It might be mohair? I really don't know. It's big and fuzzy. And at least it makes me smile in the midst of a sad task.

If you're a knitter or other crafter, how do you think your stash would hold up to such scrutiny? If you got hit by a bus tomorrow, would your loved ones be shocked by how much you had? Have you ever made a yarn will, or thought about who your treasures should go to in the event? Kind of depressing, but kind of fascinating to think about.

8 comments:

  1. Nice haul! I recognize the long crochet hook. It is used for Tunisian crochet projects like baby blankets. The other oddities appear to be for hooking rugs and latch hooks for rug making. The super long latch hook would be used for repairs I think. Maybe.

    I love sharing the hauls I receive from fiber people no longer doing it. I feel so Lady Bountiful-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pointed stabby tool with a hole in the center of the point and a tube going down to near the handle is for punch-needle embroidery/rugs; it's pretty cool and a fast way to use up a lot of unwanted yarn.

    No idea on the super-long latch hook or the hookless crochet hook - those are new ones for me!

    I have a bunch of knitting and crochet tools inherited from relatives or from people who quit knitting or crocheting; every once in a while, I learn what another one of them is used for... in other words, my stash doesn't even correspond to the projects I've *intended* to do, let alone the ones I've dabbled in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say an apple corer but I'll go with Anonymous above. And Tunisian, yes, although I've never done it nor even seen it being done but I have seen the hooks.

    That blue yarn is reminding me of a mohair/acrylic blend that was popular maybe twenty-five years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so fun to read/see, although surprisingly poignant. What a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Anonymous for the info! It's interesting that she had multi-craftual tools, but who knows what she got into, when. We do go through phases sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The long latch hook is for turning sewn tubes, like spaghetti straps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the pizza cutter looking thing is for transferring marks from sewing patterns, you use it with transfer paper, kind of like carbon paper

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Gudrun! More helpful info. Together, we know so much, don't we?

    ReplyDelete