Friday, August 26, 2022

What. A. Week.

This was an irritating week. Nothing catastrophic, for which I am truly grateful. But so many small-to-medium annoyances. There was a lot of deep breathing and pep talks to "just get through this minute, this hour, this day" for me this week.

  • Mom's had a health thing this week: after feeling fine on Monday, she woke up very dizzy on Tuesday. The doctor prescribed something for vertigo, which as she keeps saying, is nothing she has ever experienced! Well, here you are, Mom. It does seem to be helping somewhat, but she's not her usual self. So aside from the concern I feel, since we usually split household stuff, there's been more of it on my shoulders than usual this week--which, mind you, is one of the reasons I moved down here, to be here when needed. But there's no denying it's work.
  • And I have a job. Which was quiet at the beginning of the week, but on Wednesday I got one of those awful reports out of the India office that just depresses me no end to work on. They are so bad. So bad. It's just dispiriting to work on these for a week.
  • Dad's birthday was Wednesday. He would have been 93.
  • My hand hurt quite a bit on Tuesday and Wednesday, which made everything just slightly more complicated. Even the left hand gets used for so much! Carrying things from one place to another, lifting things in and out of the fridge or microwave, driving. Not as bad on Thursday, and today also not too bad, so I'm not worried about it. But it's periodically annoying. 
    • And no, it never did look as dramatic as it felt, which continues to annoy me. No swelling, no bruising? But it hurts!
  • Because of my hand, I didn't want to do aqua fit earlier this week, so on Tuesday I went for a walk around the block (two blocks, really, it's just over a mile) instead. I did this again on Thursday, and in addition to the usual sore back-hips-knees, I rubbed a spot on my foot sore. Sigh. Exercise. Never feel good in any way after that, but I don't always need a bandage.
    • I did do half an hour of water-aerobics moves in our pool this morning, holding back on the left hand/arm when I could feel it. It doesn't seem to have made anything worse (other than the tired-and-sore I always feel after exercising).
  • We learned that the elevator is going to be out again next week, Tuesday through Friday: "Expect outages to occur during most of that time," and please plan accordingly--plan to be on the 6th floor with no working elevator for four days, sure, no problem at all. This fucking elevator. 
    • In the past, Mom and I have fantasized about what we'd do if we won big in the lottery, and sometimes it was buying the unit next door to combine with this one, or getting the penthouse. This year, for the first time, the fantasy considered finding a building with similar amenities to this one, like the gulf view, but with two elevators. It's been a rough year for the elevator. We are so over it.
    • Anyone want to place bets on whether it will actually be done next Friday, versus being out that weekend? Or maybe not, that's a depressing thought.

I believe that completes our current venting! Whew. Hope your week was better than this, but feel free to vent about it here.

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy, what a week indeed! I am so sorry about all of this. I hope your mom is doing better, but wow, that is a lot of things on your plate. And ugh, the aches and pains and add that to a non-working elevator? Ugh. Here's hoping next week is a bit gentler on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your hand: I strongly recommend this for wearing at night: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PPDCNM3/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=&pd_rd_i=B08PPDCNM3p13NParams&s=industrial&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw As one who cannot take NSAIDs, that's the best pain reliever I know of for my hands.

    Hugs on all of this and to your mom. Did they mention Meniere's as a possibility? Meniere's is an inner ear problem and a low salt diet is the first thing they prescribe.

    Okay, I'll stop being overly helpful now. Best to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, this elevator thing is such an issue! I'm sorry.
    I'm on the board for a local community center and I'm not kidding when I tell you that the elevator is approximately 50% of our complaints and worries about the building. They can be finicky!

    ReplyDelete