Friday, July 03, 2020

Years Later: 2-in-1 Socks, Done!

Years ago, back in 2014, I took a class on knitting two socks in one (the War and Peace socks, or 2-in-1 socks, with Kate Atherley; I wrote all about the class experience here). It was an interesting enough idea for me to tackle doing it for real, though I don't seem to have blogged about it much--at least, not in a way that I can easily find the right entries! But photos I have, and judging by these, I stopped working on them sometime around November 2015.




Because that's pretty close to where they were when I pulled them out this week, on a whim.
Now, if you had asked me a week ago why they never got done, I would have said that, eh, finishing them felt anticlimactic, because knitting one sock within another is about the doing, not about the having a pair of finished socks after.

However.

Apparently, while there may have been some of that, it seems I put them aside because I had messed up a few times while doing the toe decreases, and couldn't face fixing it. Whoops!

So today I settled down to it, tinked back until they were separate-able, and separated them, then decreased a bit more, and finished each.



They actually fit better than I expected them to, though that isn't saying much, as I was actually expecting them not to fit at all.
Just need a few more rows.
I put them on blockers before washing them, and they sure look like they're not the same size, don't they? I guess that's what happens when one sock is scrunched inside and the other is stretched outside.
I soaked them for a good long while, then put them on the blockers still wet. That's better!
We'll see what happens when they're dry, but so far, so good.

1 comment: