Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Night, Catching Up

The weekend winds down, and already I'm looking forward to next weekend, which is a holiday weekend, ahh. I have plans with a friend on Saturday, which will be fun, and then I'll still have two days of weekend left, double ahh. This job is miles better than my last job, but it's still a job. I still regret the time it takes from doing other things. C'est la vie.


*****
I was amused on Friday to notice similar (and old-fashioned) sentiments in two different books I was reading. At least, in my world both servants, and their names, are old-fashioned concepts. But at lunch I read this:
I suppose "Florina" in not a common name to anyone these days, do you think? Then that night, I was reading a different book (published 20 years later, if that's a factor) and saw this:
It also reminds me of someone in one of the Anne of Green Gables books, who if I'm remembering right* calls her maid "Carlotta the fourth" since her first maid was Carlotta, and she cannot deal with the changes over the years.
*I'm sure Googling could provide me the answer, but I prefer the fuzzy memory.

While I'm discussing old books, I took pictures of another one I read recently, to demonstrate why I bought it. I picked it up off the shelf because of the curious title.
I also liked the note inside.
And the frontispiece.
Which answered my question about the title: it's a character's name (and a character, apparently, with a "cosmos all ego"). I looked at the first paragraph, and decided at once that it was coming home with me.
I love old books. Not all of them, no, but so many.

Meanwhile, I have a few loose ends to wrap up, here, relating to presents given and received. For instance, a friend sent me this fun print:
Clearly that will have to go somewhere near the stash! Then, Mary Ellen gave me this cute ornament.
Adorable gift to a knitter as is, but then there's this little note inside.
Love it!

She said she had seen the idea online somewhere, and the same thing happened to me with something I did, that I can finally blog about now that all recipients have theirs.
I bought the sheep shapes on eBay, used scraps of leftover yarn, and tucked hooks into one side to hang them. Mostly I did this size, but I got a few larger ones, too.
And for my brother, I went one extra step.
Baa baa, black sheep. All in all, a fun project.

Another thing to show you, not a gift but knitting, is the new bike sock, since I am much enjoying what the yarn does as the sock develops.
Rhinebeck yarn, it's from Into the Whirled, in their Manchester Sock, colorway bazinga. Because of course. Fun.

Meanwhile, the last load of laundry will be done shortly (yay), but the kitchen is still a bit of a disaster (boo), and what am I going to do about dinner? Plus, notwithstanding all the stairs relating to the aforementioned laundry, I should do some bike time. In other words, good night!

2 comments:

  1. I love the little sheepy ornaments!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old books as well! They are a lot of fun to read and you get an interesting take on social mores of the time.

    ReplyDelete