Friday, May 10, 2013

Is It Game-Time Yet? What About Now?

I wore one of my Bruins t-shirts from the Cup year today (the checklist: beat Montreal, beat Philadelphia, beat Tampa Bay, beat Vancouver, bring home the Cup), and noticed that of the four opponents listed on the shirt, two teams didn't make the playoffs this year and two did but are already eliminated. How quickly things change, eh? In just two years.

I haven't been taking the photos off the camera frequently, so I forgot to blog about the recent experience I had with Stanley Cupcakes*.
*Perhaps it's because I was just watching Despicable Me** recently, but when I say "Stanley Cupcakes", I hear it mentally in Gru's voice. Stohn-ley! Cop-Cakes! The way he says Loyt! Bolb! when he sees the girls get into Vector's fortress. (Just me? Moving on.)
**I never saw that in the theater, but I caught it on TV once and was captivated when Gru goes to the bank to get funding for his evil plot, and the sign over the secret entrance says:
Bank of Evil
formerly Lehman Brothers


Anyway, yes, this is An Actual Thing the NHL is doing this year, in conjunction with Crumbs Bake Shop (which I hadn't even heard of before, not that I claim to be up on the cupcake shop boom). The coverage I first saw had the full set, but naturally, they aren't trying to sell all those around here. (The one in a thousand Montreal ones that might sell would hardly be worth hearing about it from the rest of us.) The shop I went to had the Bruins one, and the playoffs design, and that was it.
I got the Bruins one, naturally, and it was delicious. Large and messy, but delicious.

I couldn't bring myself to eat the logo, though: it seemed to tend toward sacrilege.
Which meant I had to throw it away. Is that less sacrilegious? I don't know. What would you have done?

*****
The weather today was much better than I was expecting. Not only was it a break between rain yesterday and rain tomorrow, but it was nice enough that I ate lunch outside again, AND had to give myself a big pep talk to go back inside. So a mixed blessing, really.

*****
The neti pot and I had a setback last night, my third night of this trial. You may recall that I didn't like it the first night, Tuesday, and then did I mention, I disliked it even more on the second try. I thought perhaps that I had put in a bit too much salt the second time, so I tried to make it less salty last night, but it still didn't go that well. I was wondering what else to change as I rinsed the pot, when it slipped out of my hand, fell the few inches into the sink, and shattered. Almost literally, money down the drain.

So. Now I have to decide again, am I doing this? Was three nights enough of a trial? It had no noticeable effect on my congestion*, and is messy and deeply unpleasant to me. But if I bought another one (ugh)(unbreakable if ugly), and gave it a longer test, might it still help? I don't know. I know I don't wanna, though. Perhaps I'll ask the chiropractor on Monday what he thinks. (I told him last time that I was thinking of getting one, though I found the whole idea so nasty, and his advice was a sympathetic, "Get over it.")
*Nose still runny, and stuffing up, still feeling the sinus pressure through the whole head (in that lovely why do my eyebrows hurt? way), still clearing my throat and coughing up gunk and generally being a joy to be around. Don't you want to invite me over now?

*****
Like this guy, glimpsed out my window last weekend:
I have a hockey game to watch tonight (the Bruins can clinch tonight, oh, please, oh, please, finish it tonight). One last thing before I go, though. I'm thinking of making a flyer for the get-rid-of-Miri plan, and looking for places to post it. What do you think of this? With suitable isn't she cute? photos?
Does Your Cat Need a Friend?
If your cat is lonely, here is the perfect solution: a cat who loves other cats. I got her after one of my two cats died, and the other was desperately lonely. She loved him, and helped him tremendously. She loves the cat I have now. She loved the cat where she was fostered, before I got her. Before she was rescued, she had been seen with another cat. As 100% of her known experiences show, she loves cats!
The catch? She doesn't trust people. This is not a pet, a cat who will sit on your lap or cuddle with your child. I've had her more than four years, and catching her to trim her claws or for the vet is an ordeal. (I can provide lots of advice on what has [and has not] worked for me.) Her fur is soft as a cloud, but I hardly ever get to touch it.
But hey, if you want her to keep another cat company, she's perfect! And pretty low-maintenance, since she would much rather be left alone by you, so she can cuddle up to the other cat.
She is estimated around seven years old, beautiful, medium-haired, fixed, micro-chipped, and up-to-date on shots. Free to good home; trial period available.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to get me one of those cupcakes. Mmmm. (I'd have eaten the logo, depending on what it's made of. Fondant?)

    Re: the neti pot... we have one of the ugly plastic ones, and I find it helps me more when I have a cold. It is unpleasant to use though, and messy. I've found that this stuff works better: http://www.drugstore.com/simply-saline-sterile-saline-nasal-mist-allergy-and-sinus-relief/qxp330982

    I use it in the shower, since it's also a mess to use. But it doesn't sting like the neti pot stuff does, and it feels like it works better for me during allergy season. Plus you can get a two-pack of it at BJs or Costco!

    If you make a flier about Miri bring one to the library and we'll post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try using distilled water instead of tap water for the neti pot (if you haven't already) Although messy, I do find sinus relief about an hour afterwards that lasts quite a while.

    Th saline spray is what we used on our infant grandson. Then we used a nasal suction thing to remove the gunk. Fortunately I know how to blow my nose -- I cant imagine trying to do that on myself!

    ReplyDelete