Monday, January 07, 2013

Random Thoughts and a Possibility

You may recall that when the lockout had been going on for a while, I had to change my Google calendar so that the Bruins schedule didn't show up there; it was just too painful, seeing the phantom games that weren't happening. Yesterday I was finally able to turn the Bruins schedule back on the calendar (though it isn't updated yet), and I wore my Bruins earrings to work today, to celebrate the tentative and potential return of the NHL. I can't wait until this thing is signed and sealed! I want dates and schedules and plans! Also, I want training camp to start this weekend in Wilmington and be open to the public, so I can go and revel in the return. Please and thank you.

*****
Thank you to Anonymous, whoever you are, for pointing me to the Inspinknity blocking wires, which look very nice. I like the idea of having flexible ones that don't require special, long storage, but coil away neatly between uses. So we shall see about those.

*****
Next time I'm sick, knock wood, I must remember that dragging myself into the office with audible symptoms is unlikely to elicit admiration of my work ethic in coworkers, but quite likely to elicit irritation for both the disruption and the willingness to spread germs.

*****
My head has been odd today, not quite headache-y and not quite headache-free, but varying between different twinges and tender spots until I just wanted to find out who was in charge so I could give them a stern lecture. The phantom-ice-pick-through-the-left-eye was probably the least pleasant, but it was brief, anyway. Right now it isn't too bad, but somehow it makes me want to cry. So that's weird.

*****
I think I've been clear about my feelings toward Miri: I'll always be grateful to her for keeping Harold company, and similarly for the times I've seen her caring for Carlos, but basically her personality, and her complete lack of trust in humans, make her not a pet, but an animal living in my home.

Over Christmas, when we were talking about Miri and how useless she is as a pet, my brother had a thought. She doesn't trust people, but it's well-documented that she does love cats: before she was rescued, she was seen with another cat; she loved the cat at the house where she was fostered; she loved Harold; she loves Carlos. Wouldn't she be great living at a shelter, comforting cats who are brought in, keeping them company before they're adopted? It seems to me that she might: all of the feline companionship, little or no pesky human interaction. It seems to me that it might be a good fit! Don't you think?

The drawback, practically speaking, is that I don't know of a rescue organization locally that has an actual shelter, the way I went to one in Charlotte to kitten-shop when I got Pan and Harold. There must be some like that around here, but the rescues where I got both Miri and Carlos were organizations of volunteers who fostered in their homes, rather than a single-location type. So some research may be indicated. Heaven knows I'd be glad to get rid of her, if I could find a better solution for her, and I honestly don't believe Carlos would mind.

And if he did get lonely, well, I could get another cat, a pet, instead of this fur-person living in my home, costing money, creating messes, and giving nothing but attitude back to me.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe someplace on this list?
    http://www.catsontheweb.org/no-killshelters.htm

    The Ellen M. Gifford Sheltering Home sounds like a possibility, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, duh, the site the list came from, they're a shelter! Didn't actually occur to me when I first posted.

    ReplyDelete