Sunday, January 06, 2013

Changing the Subject from Head to Hockey, Knitting

I guess I should be grateful that my head was good this morning and into the afternoon, which enabled me to Get Things Done, but I'm sorry to say that it's bothering me a bit again tonight. A shame, really, but it's not too bad and I'm trying to "power of positive thinking" it into submission. Meanwhile, slam back a ginger ale and think about happier things.

Such as that the NHL and the players have reached tentative agreement! The season may go on after all, the stoppage stopping at 113 days of stupid. I'm still more nervous than excited, but excitement is fizzing up. Oh please, oh please, don't let them fuck it up. Give me back hockey, PLEASE.

Then there's knitting progress from the holidays to think about. As I mentioned here and there, I got a fair bit of knitting time over the holidays. The shawl is progressing nicely, and though I don't have the pattern memorized or anything, I've learned where I need to take extra care (row 25, I'm looking at you). I like the look of the pattern, even before blocking, and the yarn is soft, light, and warm. I'm about two-thirds of the way through the yarn, so there's a ways to go yet. Which is fine! This is going to be soft and warm and snuggly and BIG. Not going to waste a bit of this luscious yarn, that's the plan. Here's where it was in Florida, adorned by stripes of sunshine:
Ready for its close-up:
Loving lace before it's blocked doesn't always happen, but I can see how beautiful this is going to be already.

Also? I think Grandma's Christmas check is buying me blocking wires. I do not want to think about pinning this baby out. Knitters, any advice for blocking wires, brand or length or anything else I should think about before I buy?

As for the sock, I turned the heel on Christmas day, got it to about halfway down the foot by Monday, and then knit steadily through a New Year's Eve gathering, leaving only the toe to be done at home that night. Fast sock for me, under three weeks!
It fits, but it's a little on the snug side, so I went up a needle size for the second sock, to see if that makes any difference. It's still in the cuff ribbing, in the purse awaiting moments.

The only other project I really have going right now is the bike sock. Yes, after the holidays I did get back on the bike! I got home last Saturday night, and what with travel, headache, shoveling, and New Year's Eve, I wasn't actually back on the bike until Tuesday. But get on I did, exercise, blah-blah-blah whatever, the sock is the important part! Well, it's true that just as I always thought it would be, feeling a positive physical effect from exercise is very helpful in motivating me to keep doing it. But hey, the knitting is going well too, and though I'm only past the heel in the first sock, I'm already thinking about the yarn to use for my next pair of bike socks. Any guesses?

1 comment:

  1. I've heard good things about these, and they are MA local.http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inspinknity

    ReplyDelete