Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Shaking Things Up

Okay, I just felt an earthquake from all the way in Maine*! Not that I knew what it was at first, of course. I was at the computer when I felt the table start to shake. The lamp vibrated, and I could feel it through my feet. My first thought actually was earthquake, but it seemed so unlikely that I started to wonder if my downstairs neighbors were up to something. I stood up and moved to the doorway, to see if anything else was visibly shaking, but the lamp seemed the most bothered by it. Carlos clearly noticed it, but didn't care in the least. It must have lasted at least thirty seconds, maybe longer. And via Facebook the word spreads .... How the world has changed in my lifetime.
*Roughly 90 miles away, apparently.

Anyway! Today is one of the few days in October where my calendar has nothing on it. It's nice, that blank; even though many of the things are pleasant, it's been good to have a day when my after-work plans involve "maybe the post office, maybe the library, then home to putter about" instead of "be here at this time then try to get there by that time". Particularly since I got home to a we-missed-you notice from UPS. Since when do my contact lenses require a signature? Since never before, I swear, they came in the regular mail! It's not like going to pick them up is a huge deal, but adding one more thing to the list is not pleasing me. Grump.

In good news, however, my vacation request for Christmas-time was approved today. We get the actual day off, of course, which is Tuesday this year*, and I'm taking the rest of the week! Ahhhh. Including weekends, that's nine straight days off! And then work Monday, and have Tuesday off for New Year's. Ahhhh.
*Which means, of course, that in 2013 it's the least-desirable day, Wednesday. Urgh. Oh well, try not to borrow trouble.

I'm hoping that this will minimize my post-holiday crash. I felt like it took me most of January to recover from last year's (and then I got laid off, boom). I never was particularly resilient, and the "the older you get, the more so," as the saying goes.

Finally, here's a fortunately--unfortunately for you.

Unfortunately, Carlos has to be on antibiotics while we try to figure out why he had blood in his urine.
Fortunately, he loves pill pockets, so giving him the pills is easy!
Unfortunately, they've given him awful diarrhea.
Fortunately, probiotics are supposed to help with that, and
Fortunately, he loves the taste! I sprinkled the first packet over his food tonight, and he gobbled it. But,
Unfortunately, now he wants more, and is turning up his nose at the same food without the special topping.

Sigh. Isn't it always something?
If you really loved me...

2 comments:

  1. Yep, we felt it pretty well here 80 due west of Boston. It's one reason why I have an earthquake rider on the old house (which should close soon please goddess!). 20-some odd years ago we had another larger earthquake somewhere in New England and I felt my rocker going side-to-side so... I hope I never need to file a claim.

    Poor Carlos! How could more probiotics in his diet hurt? The yogurt industry is always promoting them to humans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it all over Twitter! At least you felt it--I missed the one in the DC area because I was in the car. Hmmph.

    Carlos, what are we going to do with you? Listen to your caregiver and get better, O.K.?

    P.S. Belated birthday wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete