Wednesday, October 03, 2012

In Which I Reappear, and Then Disappear

So, guess what?

Yup, headaches. Or possibly one headache that came with an intermission. Hard to say for sure.

I started to feel a little off Monday afternoon, and by the time I left work, I wasn't up for going to stitch and bitch; it seemed like a better idea to go home and get to bed early. I ended up in bed before 7, ridiculous even for me! But I didn't have a headache Tuesday morning, which seemed a worthy tradeoff.

Unfortunately, the pain started to come back in the afternoon. It wasn't awful before acupuncture, but it got worse after; I'm not saying acupuncture made it worse, since unfortunately nothing with my migraines is that straightforward. The needles might have made it worse, or maybe it was going to anyway, who knows? All I know is that I went home and to bed; was awake for over an hour around midnight wanting very urgently to die if that would stop the pain; finally threw up and was able to get to sleep again. It wasn't too bad this morning, and at least I was able to get to work and be semi-functional, if not fully my normal self (such as it is). Right now it isn't bad, just a sort of awareness of my head, and tenderness at the back of the skull. I'm grateful that's all it is.

Meanwhile, I leave town Friday morning for Apple Festival, so tomorrow night I am more likely to be packing than blogging. Not saying I definitely won't blog, just that I may not find the time. Living before blogging, you know?

I have a lot going on in October, and I'm trying to walk the fine line between being aware of and ready for everything, and panicking about how much there is. I know, I say the same thing every year: good stuff, but too much of it! This year *should* be better, since I have that weekend between trips. But in addition to the weekend travels, I have about 8-9 social plans (mostly knitting-related) and 8-9 medical-type appointments--mostly the acupuncture, but also contact lenses and the dentist and my primary doctor, as well as a haircut. It means a lot of evening plans, one way or another. With the knitting, in particular, I have to balance how enjoyable and relaxing it is once I'm there, versus how stressed it may make me to get ready to go. Sometimes it's worth it, but not always.

Random Thoughts
As an acknowledged word nerd, it is no surprise that I get a daily grammar usage tip e-mail from the Oxford University Press. They give a few entries and then end with a quote, and recently there was a lulu:
"I would prefer to allow a drunken surgeon to operate on my brain with a chainsaw than allow a computer to correct my grammar." John Humphrys, Lost for Words: The Mangling and Manipulating of the English Language 37 (2004).
Yow!

*****
In the "if you're going to do something, do it right" category, I must unfortunately give a failing mark to Rhinebeck's website. Well, maybe that's too harsh; not an F, but a D. It is semi-functional, and I have been able to use it to confirm the dates, find the link to buy online tickets (the cheapest option), and view the map of the grounds. However, when the website states, at the end of September, that certain information is Coming Soon, or even worse, will be added May first? Not Good. When the book-signing page gives both 2011 and 2012 authors (not a good idea to begin with) without saying which is which? Bad. Sorry guys, I love you, but you're letting us down on this.

Also? Spell-check. Use it. Because "imformation " has no place on your site.

*****
One of the stops I made Saturday with my friend was at a cheese shop, where I bought a piece of caraway gouda. Which makes me think of this:

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the headaches. I'm glad your sense of humor is unaffected, because both the quote and the LOLcat were hilarious.

    October is a busy month! I hope you are all rested up for a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete