Friday, October 26, 2012

Little Typing, but Fun Hockey Links

My hands are having a bad day, for whatever reason (I don't think 15 minutes of knitting last night did it, though it did accomplish a heel turn on the latest sock), so I'm not going to finish Rhinebeck tonight. Let me pander to the fellow hockey-starved tonight instead.

When I lived in Charlotte, NC lo these many years ago (seriously, ten years since I moved, how is that possible?), the minor league Checkers were my team, as I could only follow the Bruins from afar so much in those pre-Internet days. [My mother mailed me the stories from the newspaper in 2004, that's how old-school we were! ;)] Checkers games were a lot of fun, and though they never replaced the Bruins in my heart, I was happy to see the team again in this video (though looking quite different since their uniforms now proclaim them to be a Hurricanes farm team), drumming up business for their new season by covering the Vanilla Ice classic, Ice Ice Baby.


Though it did make me want to listen to, not the Vanilla Ice "original", but to the song whose music he ripped off. I give you Under Pressure, by Queen with David Bowie.


There, that's better. Now, back to hockey!

Another minor league team that I feel some mild alliance to is the Florida Everblades, since I've been to a game with my mother. I loved this story from Puck Daddy about the creative way an ad agency is advertising on the (and this is key) visitor's bench at the arena.
Very nice! And do click through on the story link to see the picture of what the exterminator's ad says, too. You don't have to tell me that Truly Nolen is creative, since I'm used to seeing their fun cars around southwest Florida, but well played, indeed.

Back here again--I got to watch part of game 6 in the 2011 Montreal series last night on NESN (so I knew they lost that one, and could go to bed before the end), and tonight I got to see the third period and OT of that game 7, with the Bruins winning in overtime, which was still pretty exciting, even almost a year and a half later and knowing the outcome. Jack was so excited! Which brings me to a recent video find via Bruins fan blog Stanley Cup of Chowder. In past years, they've titles posts "Monday Morning Skate" and so on; this year, they switched to "Monday Mourning Skate" which is sadly more fitting.

What is the video, you ask? All Jack Edwards! Ah, the manic laughter, "cry me a river," the ode to the composite stick, "snowball 1, hell 0" ... love it!

The end, and his ramble, isn't as much fun, but the first 5+ minutes had me smiling and laughing. My hockey!

Some other fun videos, if that isn't enough (Youtube is a rabbit hole):
Tyler Seguin scored his first goal in Boston, it's against Toronto, and the crowd taunts, "Thank you, Kessel".

Highlights of Patrice Bergeron in 2011-2012. This had me beaming fondly at the computer.

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me both sad and smile. Speaking of happy/sad things, was there any word on Horton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://youtu.be/mEogugGnXAY There's another good one. (Bit of high level trolling on the organist's part.)

    ReplyDelete