Wednesday, November 30, 2011

There is too much. Let me sum up.

funny pictures - From Upside Down
(This has nothing to do with anything, but maybe you needed a laugh, too?)

To Fruit CSA or Not To Fruit CSA
A friend let me know that there's a local farm organization that does CSAs* not only for veggies, but also for fruit, and my ears pricked up. There are too many veggies I don't like to make a veggie share a good choice for me, but fruit? That might work. (My mother is gagging right now. She makes smoothies, but is otherwise not a fruit fan.) I mean, listen to this:
"blueberries, raspberries, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, melons, and multiple varieties of apples"
The only thing I don't like on that list is melons. I started to think that maybe I should do this.

*Is everyone familiar with the CSA concept? Community-supported agriculture: you pay the farm ahead of time, then get your share every week. Eat local and all that.

But. The cost for the 13 weeks they estimate (13 or more is what the site says) is almost $250*, which is about $20 a week. Much more than I usually spend on fruit! Still, it's good for me ... and supporting local farming ... but yikes.

*And that's the 2011 price, if you pay by Dec 15. Who knows if it will go up, or by how much.

Think think think.

*****
I signed up for the 401(k) at work, which is one of those depressing grown-up things that you're supposed to do, knowing that it will pay off, if at all, only many years in the future.

Congratulations, you're doing the right thing! Now here is your noticeably smaller paycheck, and watch for regular mailings of how (badly) your investments are doing! Don't worry if the numbers go down: think long term!

Somehow it just feels like a scam, you know? "Oh, you wanted that money? Well, you'll want it more in thirty years. Give it to us, watch it grow (results not guaranteed), and you'll be glad you did!"

*****
I made onion dip and the "recipe" on the box of soup mix cracked me up:


It's the "blend all ingredients" that got me. ALL of them? All two? What if I forget one? Can't you see me stirring the sour cream and wondering why it doesn't smell right?

And that led me to remember, "The alphabet? All of it?" Can anyone (other than my brother) name the source?

By the way, I'm not the only one who liked the onion dip. I use it as a good way to get carrots into me, but Carlos was Very Interested in what I was doing. So, since his job title is The Spoiled One, I put the bowl down when I was done.


Of course, Miri was interested, too. But he wasn't giving ground.


*****
I have voluntary Thanksgiving leftovers in the fridge. I was sent home from the actual meal with a plate, which I was delighted to eat on Friday, but that's not enough, is it? I don't want to eat turkey for every meal for a week, but more than one ... so I got a turkey breast and cooked it on Sunday (that's one other thing that went well on Sunday, forgot to mention that yesterday). Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and the last (sob) of the angel salad.


Next year, I'm making a double recipe. It was suggested at dinner. And so, the plan for world domination through angel salad (one table at a time) progresses.

*****
The Bruins only play twice this week, and both times it's against Toronto, so that's kind of weird. Also, if they win tonight, their record for November would be 12-0-1, which after a 3-7 October is also weird, but in a really good way.

Given that last time the two teams met, the Bruins gave Toronto a 7-0 whipping in their home arena, the general feeling is that Toronto will come out hard. But it will be interesting to see. And it's time to turn the TV on. I'll leave you with a hint for tomorrow.

Any guesses?

2 comments:

  1. Stop fooling with your blog, CCR! I KNOW I put my advent posting on today but it's showing up on yesterday.

    Can you tell the type of day I've had?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlos likes onion dip? Crazy. He was probably yelling, "Noooo, kitty! This is MY onion dip!" a la Cartman, at Miri.

    (That said, cats aren't really supposed to have onions, but I'm sure he didn't have much.)

    ReplyDelete