Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Third Monday This Week

The older I get, the more I resent the time stolen from me by having to work for a living. I don't hate my specific job (much, or often, anyway), now that I'm more used to it, but oh, I hate having to work for a living. I lose half my waking hours to work, and I want them. Frankly, the strength of my feelings surprises me.

*****
funny pictures - I tried being reasonable.

It hasn't been the best week. I know, it's only Tuesday. But when you have a bad day on Sunday, then a super-Monday-ish Monday, and then Tuesday starts badly, well, it feels like it's been a long week already.

Sunday just wasn't good. I slept in, which was good, but then things went downhill. Making the panic calendar didn't help, and then I just seemed to keep running into problems. Small ones, sure, but one after another drains the will to go on.

I tried to pull myself out of it. I was doing laundry, and since for the last two months there has been one problem after another with the machines, I was truly grateful that everything was working. As I put my last load in the dryer, I was actually saying aloud how nice it was when everything worked, and then I put in the quarters, my last quarters, and nothing happened. No time, no hot air, nothing but wet towels.

I had that problem last weekend, and my neighbor checked the machine and it worked fine for her, so I don't know what's up with that. For that matter, my previous two loads dried in that machine perfectly fine. But not this time, and I was so upset. Air-dried towels are nasty (how does anyone stand them?), and it was so frustrating to be thwarted just when I was improving my mood, and bah. Bad night.

Yesterday was Monday, enough said. And I stupidly stayed up too late reading, so I was very tired and reluctant to get out of bed this morning, particularly with Carlos snuggled up, draped over my arm. The commute was one stupid little delay after the other, and just ugh. I've been contrary and cantankerous all day*. Nothing to do? Sucks! Major massive project? Sucks!

*though I have tried not to share it (except here, since that's what the blog is for)(well, one of the things)

There are people who can live in fine disregard of small irritants, and people who are bothered by the least little thing. I wish I was in the first category, but I am in the second. I want to be in a better mood, but it's hard to make myself. Deciding to be cheerful sounds like a good idea, but how do you do it?

I did have one good laugh at work today, when I overheard this conversation:
Work-flow coordinator: Do you want to do this (type of project)?
DTP, cheerfully: No, I don't. I hate doing them, and I do them every time, since we still haven't trained anyone else to do them.
...(A little more back and forth)
DTP: Now, if you need me to do it, I will. But you asked if I wanted to, and I don't.
WFC: I need you to do it.
DTP, still cheerfully: All right, I will, as I do every time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! It's time for the chocolate Advent calendar. yummmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete