Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Life's Like This

Work is better since I had the reality check, aka review, but it still has its moments. Just this afternoon, in fact, I had a moment when it felt like my head would explode, but I dug my nails into my palm to stop myself saying what I was thinking*, and the feeling passed.

*Basically, Are you fucking kidding me?

After work I went to get the oil changed in the car, pre-trip, and in the end also got a new battery, since having one that will likely fail at the first cold snap sounds like a bad idea to me. (Apparently it's unusual for them to last 5 years? And since I've had the car 5 and a half, well, there we are. Cha-ching.)

I was, of course, knitting while I waited, and when I held the sock up to my ankle to measure it against the sock I was wearing, another customer said, "Oh, you're making a sock!" Well, duh, though I guess I can see how it might not be obvious to muggles. Theoretically. (Really, it looks like the arm of a baby sweater. But trust me, it's a sock, and yes, it will fit. Yes, me. See?

It's an awful picture, but it proves my point. Not that I tried it on for him: one must draw the line somewhere, and for me today, removing my sock at the car repair shop was over that line.)

It's only Tuesday, but that was my second knitting-muggle-realization moment of the week. The first came yesterday at lunch, a meal to which my boss invited me and the rest of the group (six of us) for no apparent reason. After we ordered, of course I pulled my knitting out, like I'm going to just sit there? But after a while I realized, I'm kind of used to knitting in public opening at least a brief conversation. Oh, you're knitting; what are you making; that kind of thing. That's not why I do it, but it's often what happens. This time, no one said anything. Interesting.

Back to tonight: I successfully fought off the urge to stop at McDonald's even though I drove past two of them (yay me! willpower FTW! for once), then was going to stop at the pharmacy to pick up some prescription refills, but found myself in my driveway, having turned on auto-pilot. Whoops. Tomorrow is another day, CVS!

Which is fine, as long as I'm home before 8, to catch the show on NESN about the Bruins' Summer with Stanley! They got their Cup rings tonight, and, um, wow, words fail me:

(found on NESN)

Well, one: shiny.

And you know what else? Apparently I have to pick up this week's Sports Illustrated! Timmy Thomas, look at you. (I guess I was meant to go to CVS tomorrow: I can pick it up then!) Then the banner is raised Thursday night at the home opener. Whee!

And I'm jumping around a lot tonight, but I have to close with a quote from Rachael Herron's new book, A Life in Stitches, which by the way is excellent and I very much enjoyed.
...I'd wager that all knitters, even on the strictest of yarn diets, invoke the Souvenir Yarn Clause when we travel. Souvenir yarn--especially if it's just sock yarn--doesn't count.
Laughter, sniffles, nods: Good book!

2 comments:

  1. This knitting "muggle" thought of you tonight at trivia, because we had a question where the answer was Prince Edward Island!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm -- maybe he thought it was a coffee or can cozy?? You have to admit, until that heel gets turned it could be one of those, or the sleeve of a cardigan for a little kid.

    Shiny is a good word for it -- best it not be worn in sunlight while driving as it might cause a blinding glare.

    ReplyDelete