Monday, April 25, 2011

Up and Down, This and That

It seems impossible--feels impossible--that it can have been two years since my dad died, but so the calendar tells me. Isn't time the strangest thing?

The pain is not so sharp, not so frequent as it was. But it's still there, of course.

**********
Oh, Shut Up
Some days I would like to kill the man who sits near me at work and whistles randomly throughout the day. Holy crow, man, STOPIT.

(I'm sure he doesn't even realize he's doing it. And it feels incredibly petty to bring it up, plus he's the sort of person to give me a hard time about it forever. [The morning after the Bruins went down by two games, he saw me, laughed, and said, "Go Habs!" Ha. Ha. Then later, it was, "Just kidding!" Uh-huh.])

Which leaves me fantasizing about hitting him in the throat with a blunt instrument. I think that would cut off outgoing noise, don't you?

**********
Careful How You Transcribe That
One of the Bruins blogs today quoted Claude Julien as saying, "...it certainly shows that there’s parody in this league..."

I'm relatively certain that the coach actually spoke of "parity", though I suppose given the NHL these days, it's not an impossible stretch. The first (and so far, only) commenter summed it up nicely: "Yes, there is parody in the league, plenty of it, but there’s also parity."

**********
And Yes, Interview Thoughts
Preparing for an interview without getting too crazy about the interview, well, that's a fine line to walk. Especially since my last interview was all the way back in September, and while it seemed to go well, it led exactly nowhere. I keep telling myself that even if this doesn't work out, I need the practice. Which is true, and also not all that comforting, but hey, that's why they invented unisom, right?

For perspective, I just remind myself that I'd far rather have Carlos's clean bill of health than this job, which is true. I don't even know if this job is right for me (and vice versa), while I know I love the fur-baby, and want him to stay healthy. So there's that.

And as for tomorrow evening (aka The Night Before), the good news is I have distractions. I go from work to get a mammogram (woo, that's not a phrase I expect to follow "good news"), then the Bruins play at 7. Those should help keep my mind from retreading the well-worn path to crazyville.

And will I go to the near-work stitch and bitch Wednesday night, aka The Night After? That depends on how I feel at the end of the day. I may need to go straight home and crawl into bed. (Or on the couch, should the Bruins lose tomorrow night and require game 7.) Ah, the uncertainty! A week ago, so far as I knew, I was working where I am for the foreseeable future. Now, who knows? The situation may change, and that would be for the better, but it's unpredictable, isn't it? You may have picked up on the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of change, or uncertainty, or unpredictability.

And hey, as long as we're on the topic of resumes, or at least in the neighborhood of the topic, can I ask your opinion? I recently read a short but humorous rant about resumes, asking why would someone have their address on their resume, because "What do I need your address for anyway? Telegram inviting you to an interview?" and I laughed while at the same time feeling much taken aback.

It never occurred to me, never once crossed my mind, to take my address off my resume. Yet when I think about it, no, I do not expect to be contacted that way. I expect either a phone call or an e-mail, and prefer the latter. But ... but ... somehow over the years I added my e-mail address, and even, recently, LinkedIn profile address, to the standard name-address-phone#, without ever thinking of taking anything off.

I have seen the job search change vigorously in under ten years, and I know that things that are taken for granted today would have shocked me just a few years ago. I also know that I'm old school, being middle-aged and all. So I thought I would ask you all for your opinion:
Would you remove your address from your resume? Have you? Will you?
It's weird when the world changes around you, fast enough for the eye to see.

5 comments:

  1. You might need an address on a resume if you're applying for a job out of the area and the company needs to know you would be relocating for the position. That's the only thing I can think of.

    I will ask my unemployed, sending hundreds of resumes out husband what he thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the address thing, but then again, I still get rejection letters via snail mail.

    Two years for your dad--that totally makes sense that it still aches. So sorry.

    But nice work finger-crossing for the Flyers yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, still holding those good thoughts for you on the interview.

    Second, I would not have my address on the resume. That level of information comes later and by that I don't mean your street address but what general area you live in. On one of my interviews way back in the day, the interviewer wanted to know the general area I lived in to see if commuting would be an issue. That was mainly, I think, because I was interviewing for a sysadmin (IT) job and it could have been an issue.

    Third, hugs again about your dad. It's amazing how quickly two years can go by while feeling like no time has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a different note, re the whistling colleague... You can buy a keyring which beeps whenever you whistle - I know it's intended for when you lose your keys, but you could try hiding one in the vicinity of his desk and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sending you good karma for tomorrow. good luck my dear.

    ReplyDelete